Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

post_thumbnails

• # November 19, 2010 at 5:22 pm

http://dmartinng.com/tutorial/use-nivo-slider-for-an-awesome-wordpress-slider/

I have been looking at trying this out on a local wordpress setup, can someone explain to me how to create post thumbnails? i really don’t understand them and need help. I downloaded the example demo in this tutorial and it needs them set up and I have no idea what to do?

Al

# November 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Hey Al,

If you’re comfortable in editing your functions.php, then this should be a breeze. If not, let me know if I need to explain it any further.

Setting it up is as simple as:

1. Open functions.php
    2. Add the following code:
    // add post-thumbnail functionality
    if (function_exists('add_theme_support')) { add_theme_support('post-thumbnails'); }

If you want, you can even alter the size output:

set_post_thumbnail_size( 100, 100, true ); // Generic settings
    add_image_size( 'sidebar-ads', 125, 125, true ); // You can add custom sizes, too!
    add_image_size( 'custom-size-2', 255, 236, true ); // As many as you like

To call a post_thumbnail in your loop (will use the ‘generic’ settings):

< ?php the_post_thumbnail('thumbnail'); ?>

To call a custom size (will use your custom defined settings):

the_post_thumbnail('your-custom-name'); 
    # November 19, 2010 at 8:32 pm

the tutorial talks about what you have mentioned. what do I do to enter the images into the theme? do I set up a post? or something else? I think the demo in this case does have that function coded in, that isn’t the part I have a problem with but what do I do with the images and get the theme to recognize them as thumbnails???

Al

# November 19, 2010 at 9:35 pm

My apologies, I didn’t look at the article.

Each image in the slider is related to a post. When you create a new post there should be a “Set Featured Image” option on the right side.

# November 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

OK got it working

now this demo does not show a page with posts, I would assume you need to exclude these posts from regular displaying of posts, otherwise you would have posts with big images and little content

Al

# November 19, 2010 at 11:23 pm

You can create a new category, called it “Slider Images”, and make sure to exclude that category from all other loops.

Make sure that the loop running the slider is set to only include that category.

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/wordpress/run-loop-on-posts-of-specific-category/

# November 19, 2010 at 11:33 pm

OK thanks for that

Al

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".