Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Poll: Your Linux Use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cannen

How many of you would prefer to use Linux for web development and general use if your favorite apps were available?

Example Apps:
    – Coda
    – Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Illustrator/Etc
    – IE (joke)

I find that I would really like to give Linux a shot but have trouble doing so because the programs I want to use aren’t available. I know I can run them in virtual machines or wine or whatever, but I would really like to just install the program and go. I’ve installed it at least a dozen times but don’t use it because none of my necessary programs are available.

It seems like the Linux community is all about saying, "Well, we don’t have X-Program, but we have 20 others that act just like it."

I personally don’t want to use other apps. I like the software I use and just wish I could install them under Linux directly.

How about you? Is it the app situation that is stopping you from using Linux?

BTW,
    I use Win7, Adobe CS3 Suite, Notepad ++, Filezilla, Office. Primary browser is Firefox with secondary as Chrome.

TheDoc

Nothing is stopping me from using Linux – I simply don’t want to!

"Well, we don’t have X-Program, but we have 20 others that act just like it."

I absolutely hate that – I don’t want to use some shitty free version of Photoshop, I want to use the real deal.

nosecreek

I use Ubuntu for all my website design. Of course, I know more of the technical side than the visual, so its not a huge deal for me to use the GIMP instead of Photoshop. You joke about IE being the missing ‘favourite’ app. It’s certainly not one of my favourites, but it does pose a big problem to not have it available. Testing sites in IE is a huge pain (I use VirtualBox to run XP). I can see why Linux wouldn’t work for many people, but it is fine for my own purposes.

Cannen
    Quote:
    I use Ubuntu for all my website design. Of course, I know more of the technical side than the visual, so its not a huge deal for me to use the GIMP instead of Photoshop. You joke about IE being the missing ‘favourite’ app. It’s certainly not one of my favourites, but it does pose a big problem to not have it available. Testing sites in IE is a huge pain (I use VirtualBox to run XP). I can see why Linux wouldn’t work for many people, but it is fine for my own purposes.

I suppose if your primary coding program is a text editor or program like notepad ++, it doesn’t really matter all that much and for light graphic work Gimp would serve.

One of the downsides for me on Gimp in particular is that most of the great tutorials online use Photoshop. I guess the theories are similar, but it’s nice to do a close follow-along.

My primary problem is the amount of great programs available for the Mac and Windows that just aren’t available for Linux.

I’m curious how well Photoshop and other Windows programs run in a virtual pc. Are they as responsive?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.