Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End PHP in Dropbox Folder?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    enjay
    Participant

I keep the files for the site I’m working on in a Dropbox folder so that I can work on them from wherever I am and always have up to date files.

I’d like to use PHP for some SSI type things, but I can’t seem to render them in a browser from the Dropbox folder. Does that make sense? Is there a solution, using Dropbox or otherwise?

dclardy

To serve php files, the webserver has to create the content. Dropbox does not allow this to happen. When you are seeing pages in Dropbox, the browser is rendering them. It is the same as having an .html file on your desktop that you open in Chrome or something.

If you want to server php files, you need a webserver that has php installed.

notfilc

May be a way of syncing from dropbox to a PHP server though.

chrisburton
    Participant

You can install Dropbox on your server (VPS or with certain shared hosting providers). From there, you can place your site files in your desktop’s Dropbox and work on it there. Any changes you make it will automatically sync to your server. It’s also a great way for automatic backups.

enjay
    Participant

I have Dropbox installed on my computer, and I use the files as any other that would be stored on my HD.

PHP is installed on my Mac using Apache (I think) but that won’t work unless the files are in the htdocs folder, if I understand correctly.

chrisburton
    Participant

@enjay Are you using Mamp?

Martin_Muzatko
    Participant

I have no clue if this is a good thing to do – however: I moved my whole dropbox folder to xampp/htdocs/Dropbox
    And it’s just fine – I can execute phpfiles wherever I wan’t in my project folders.
    So no problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.