Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

opinion on simple design

• # December 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Thanks!

I created a mixin with your shadow as a default but able to over-ride it.

.inner-box-shadow(@shadow1:inset 0 -4px 0 0 #fff, @shadow2:inset 0 0 6px #333) {
    -webkit-box-shadow: @shadow1, @shadow2;
    -moz-box-shadow: @shadow1, @shadow2;
    box-shadow: @shadow1, @shadow2;
    }

Like this:

.inner-box-shadow(inset 0 -4px 0 0 #7192A8, inset 0 0 6px #333);

This is looking a lot better!

# December 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm

yeah, looks good

# December 15, 2012 at 5:18 pm

At this point I am wondering if I should move the search box up with the nav buttons. It could be part of the drop-down on smaller screens.

It would also make search easier to find on small screens instead of all the way at the bottom like it ends up now.

# December 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm

The text shadow on some of the Tag links is very dark and makes the text look fuzzy and hard to read.

Also, now that you have coloured the headers you might want to lighten up the blue.

# December 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks!

I think this is much better. Now my brain is going a bunch of different directions thinking about whole new designs.

# December 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Site looks very nice, but IMHO serif fonts are not that great on the web, sans-serif’s are much better (keep in mind, this is MY personal opinion ;))

# December 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

With respect, I very strongly disagree with @JoeShmoe‘s opinion. I’m using the same font for a preview of my blog comments on my new site. Georgia is undoubtedly one of the best typefaces ever made for the screen.

# December 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

I definitely appreciate the thoughts. As for myself I have no hard rules yet on fonts ( I am still just a baby in the artistic side of things). The font types that I am using now are an experiment in mixing sans and serif fonts, with the serif fonts in the headers. There seems to be a lot of sometimes very emotional opinions on font selection which can make it harder to figure out what a target audience would feel good about fontwise.

# December 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It depends how you use them on your site. What you should really focus on for your users is legibility.

# December 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

OK, but is legibility subjective at some point?

For example, with some exceptions I don’t see much of a difference in legibility between many fonts. But there are obviously people that notice these things, even to the point of what appears to be pain for fonts that bother them. Is this just a blind spot for me, and if so, how do I correct it?

# December 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m sure certain font-sizes could be subjective. Just like with any development project, you have to test. Well, the same goes with type.

Go here: Cantarell. This was specifically designed to be on a HTC mobile phone. Take a look at the `$` and `@` glyph symbols. Now go down and view the lowercase glyphs. They look horribly pixelated from bad hinting. That’s a poor quality font.

Go here: Apres. This was specifically designed for the Palm Pre. Much higher quality and profound manual hinting.

# December 19, 2012 at 2:05 am

OK, I see more fuzziness/pixelation on Cantarell in the smaller font sizes, but not so much with Apres. Spacing between letters “appears” to be more consistant and tighter in Apres, though I notice that letter combinations like “ox”, “ew” are also different somehow, perhaps closer together by a pixel like they are tucked together just a tiny bit more.

# December 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

The font-size is too small for me. I would try 16px as the base font. Make the line-height: 1.6. Tell me what you think?

Check out the link that Chris just posted as a ‘Hot Link’ about [typography](http://www.kaikkonendesign.fi/typography/).

Your site is looking good…I believe some thoughts/ideas from the above ‘Hot Link’ will help you make it more beautiful!

# December 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Good Article, thanks!
    I may mess with fonts a bit, but for now I upped the font size.

# December 23, 2012 at 5:19 am

People seem to under estimated the power of simplicity.But i must say just one word “OUTSTANDING”. Thanks for share this amazing article.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".