Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Opera on WebKit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    VladimirKrstic
    Participant

This morning Opera announce that is switching on WebKit rendering engine and V8 JavaScript engine. http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/300-million-users-and-move-to-webkit
    As far as WebKit is open source and browser manufacturers that implements him have free hands to modify it I’m still sceptical. Think that this can only harm web, not improve it. Not initially but in time Firefox will struggle to compete. And monoculture will be created. On other side Microsoft has money and will never allow that IE drops hard. Could also Microsoft profit from WebKit dominance and save web like Firefox saved it years ago from Microsoft and IE? What’s your thoughts is good that we all adapt WebKit(this sounds scary) or not?

Paulie_D

>**On other side Microsoft has money and will never allow that IE drops hard. **

Hasn’t worked so far.

Browser evolution is definitely on the side of Webkit and those that build a better product will usually eat the lesser offerings.

IE took over from Netscape Navigator didn’t it?

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

> IE took over from Netscape Navigator didn’t it?

With quality or with bundle with Windows? I didn’t used computers at that time (was young) but i can say that IE probably started like a better browser, gained marked share and then started to deteriorates in his dominance and arrogance. That will happen to WebKit too, that is my point. And i don’t care about WebKit but about web developers and web users. They will suffer most from that. WebKit is currently best engine there is no doubt bout that. But will it be in monopoly? With that little years I have and history I know(not web but human history) i can say almost for sure that dominance will bring only stagnation.

> Hasn’t worked so far.

I would not agree. Internet Explorer 10 is pretty good browser. I expect that “Blue” update will bring him more close to Chrome. In terms of speed Chrome is so much under IE10. On High-End PC I got more than 40% faster results on benchmarks in IE 10 than in Chrome. Which is god damn ridiculous result. And in regular use i feel difference in response and i feel it a lot. Still I use Chrome as default browser but future of IE is bright.

Paulie_D

>Internet Explorer 10 is pretty good browser.

I don’t disagree but look how long it took to come out.

>I expect that “Blue” update will bring him more close to Chrome.

They would have to…but are they going to push out updates as frequently?…..Not likely.

>dominance will bring only stagnation.

True…but it also leads to upstarts like…oh, Apple & Google…and look where we are now. :)

SgtLegend

This is just a comment about Opera moving to WebKit; I think its the best move they could ever make as a company since they have been struggling for a while to keep up, while they have produced some pretty cool outcomes for CSS3 properties they just haven’t been able to stay at the same level as other browsers (`excluding IE`)

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

I don’t disagree but look how long it took to come out.

Rate of release is issue, yes. One year release cycle is though big improvement for Microsoft. Hopefully they will push that rate up soon on a half year releases or something for IE.

@SgtLegend

It’s good move for them as a company. Their business as its today is unsustainable. But is it for web? Opera actually did a lot more for web than few CSS3 properties. They invented CSS. They are by far biggest web innovators.

@jamy_za
    I have no clue about 3D apis and security but as far as I’m informed webGL has serious security issues. Lot of web experts say so. Also fact is that IE is most secure browser, Microsoft cares about security because they have great share of enterprise users. On the other side maybe Microsoft just wish to push DirectX.

Paulie_D

>Also fact is that IE is most secure browser

That must explain the 57 security holes they fixed yesterday. :)

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

> That must explain the 57 security holes they fixed yesterday. :)

That’s good i think, they are working on security. :)

chrisburton
    Participant

> Also fact is that IE is most secure browser

I bet that isn’t correct.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@chrisburton

I can’t say that for sure, word “fact” was a little more there. :) IT experts say that for IE10 and i believe them. I can bet that you bet that IE10 isn’t freaking faster than Chrome as most people believe. Well it is, i’ve tested it. But some people get used on negative perception of Microsoft and IE. Don’t be regular Apple fan that spit on everything that isn’t Apple and you didn’t use. :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic Haha. I’ve actually tested it myself as well. IE10 is quite an improvement with speed and I have to say that I like the scrolling compared to Chrome. I won’t disagree with you there. Perhaps in certain specific areas IE10 might be more secure, but overall, I doubt it.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@chrisburton

Damn. I bet bad. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.