Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Need some design critiques!

• # February 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Hey everyone! I’m putting together a new project and I’m really struggling with some thing that can lend to making this pop. Couple of things of note are they REALLY like the wood / granite textures and wants a darker website instead of a lighter one. So I’m just a little limited.

I’ve just got the basic skeleton in place with some of the content from their current website with a few images.

[dev site link](http://cornerstone.boundlessdm.com/ “Here is the current dev site”)

It just feels very one note to me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

# February 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I like this design. Not such a fan of the second colour for the gradient in the footer (light grey) and I think it might do with a little less whitespace there.

# February 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I feel like there needs to be more contrast. I’m thinking even maybe a light colored footer would be a better choice. Maybe like a cream color along with a red stripe.

# February 14, 2013 at 4:48 pm

You could try it. I would just worry a little about complicating it with too many different colours. Also, I love the big image fader (how is in terms of download time and responsiveness on mobile?).

Take everything I say with a pinch of salt though – visual design isn’t me strongest point for sure!

Just my personal preferences.

# February 14, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Thanks. We’re not quite there with responsive yet – just fleshing out the look and feel before that happens. The entire homepage including all of the site graphics is under 400k, so doing a few changes for mobile should still keep it loading pretty quickly.

Point taken on the footer with the lighter colors… What I think I need to do is get everything that will be in the footer, or at least an example of it, and cut down that amount of space down there as the first step.

# February 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm

it need some more spacing give it a padding of 40 px from height & bottom in the content area

# February 14, 2013 at 5:38 pm

The contrast of the body text is kind of meh. Would they be up for putting that in a box or adding some sort of alpha’d background to it? Plain text on that fancy slab background just looks off in some spots.

# February 14, 2013 at 5:38 pm

the inputs in the contact form need more height

# February 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Lol…the low testosterone ad on load…

I agree with Musama, just a bit more padding from the main content area. Other than that it’s looking pretty nice.

# February 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think mcjohnst is hitting the problem I’ve been feeling on the head – it’s the text on top of that background is just not working 100% with me.

Try this – I’ve made several changes, notably along those lines where using RGBA on the background to give it a little separation – I also added some light shadows and borders (may have been too much…). The footer was also adjusted, which I think looks a lot more fitting now.

# February 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I find the colour scheme and the texture clash. Use https://kuler.adobe.com/ for a colour scheme that compliments your website. I find the textures make the site seem really web 2.0 compared to if you just used bold colours.

# February 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Ok – added more padding, adjusted the forms a bit as well, and did some tweaks… I’m still thinking the container is a little much with the borders… thoughts?

# February 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I definitely agree with you there… the textures being so bold make it difficult. I might be able to compromise by finding some more subtle ways to add in those same textures.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".