Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Need alternative to get_post_meta for custom fields on Blog page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cre8tive1

I’m using the get_post_meta function to call and echo custom fields used on ‘Pages’ with a WP site. However, on the ‘Blog’ page this method is not working. I’m guessing that it’s because it’s not a ‘page’ but a group of posts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to call and echo these custom fields on the the ‘blog’ page as well as the single and archived pages for blog posts? Below is the code I’m using in the ‘header’.

snorkel.jerryrossphotography.com

>

ID, 'Background', true);?>

ID, 'Masthead-Image-01', true);?>
    ID, 'Masthead-Image-02', true);?>
    ID, 'Masthead-Image-03', true);?>
    ID, 'Masthead-Thumb-01', true);?>
    ID, 'Masthead-Thumb-02', true);?>
    ID, 'Masthead-Thumb-03', true);?>

cre8tive1

SOLVED: I created a work around by loading a different header file for the blog page with the images in question hard coded.

$hardCoded === ‘BOGUS!’;
    What is the real solution to this issue?

roguerocket

ChrisxClash, you’re absolutely right. Running this outside of the Loop will only return data for the current page, not the actual Posts within the query.

cre8tive1, where you’re attempting to retrieve the post custom fields, run all of your code within…

// custom code here
    // retrieve all posts values here…
    // $post will hold values for each individual post

jausions

@ChrisxClash & @roguerocket : `get_post_meta()` doesn’t need to be in the loop, especially when you want the custom fields of the page (i.e. container) itself. The function itself requires a post/page ID (meaning that it doesn’t assume the current post ID, if in the loop).

If you set the WP home page to be a static page (and therefore also set a separate blog posts page), the solution is to use `get_post_meta( get_option( ‘page_for_posts’ ) );`

Other functions that might also be useful to you to decide when to use the above:

– `is_home()`
    – `is_single()`
    – `is_page()`

All these are handy when you try to customize content in sidebars for instance:

if ( is_single() || is_page() ) {
    $meta = get_post_meta( get_the_ID() );
    } elseif ( is_home() ) {
    $meta = get_post_meta( get_option( ‘page_for_posts’ ) );
    }
    ?>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.