Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other My first ever attempt @ web design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blixzit

So the last two or three days I’ve been watching a few of the awesome screencasts and have learned quite a bit. A few hours ago, I started a project for a custom twitter updates, or "tweets" page. I just finished it about 30 minutes ago. I still have nowhere to host it…. for free anyway. But check it out! http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/blixzit/JakesTwitterUpdates.png

It’s all completely from scratch…. except for the twitter bird. Google image search saves the day, yet again! LOL. Anyway, seeing as how this is my first attempt at any web design, I’m very pleased with how it came out. I’d love to see everyone’s feedback. Big thanks to Chris for the screencasts! I couldn’t of done it with out them, and would have never known just how simple it all can really be!

For a first attempt – that is rather nice. I assume it is coded, not just an image. If I were you I would recommend changing the font of both the Twitter updates box, and of the ‘about me section’.

I think you should change it for the twitter section because I’m guessing it isn’t a common font on many machines, and as @font-face isn’t fully supported, you may run into issues across multiple platforms.

Furthermore the font on the about section, to me looks slightly outdates, why not look for something along the lines of Arial, or Serif?

If you wanted to get a bit more in-depth, why not create multiple pages, and put the ‘About Me’ section in a page of its own.

Again, very nice for a first attempt – keep up the good work!

Blixzit

First of all, let me thank you so much for a very nice and insightful response!

Yes, I have it coded. The twitter response font is ‘Boopee’ (the same font of the "social revolution" which is actually part of the image, so it will show up on all platforms). But I know what you mean, and I will change it. I’ll change the about me font as well. On Firefox it looks fine but in IE it’s tiny. I understand what you mean about creating a separate "About Me" page, but I want to keep things as simple and as basic as possible. So having it all on one page (by all I mean the updates and about me), keeps it simple. Originally I wasn’t even going to have an About Me section, but without it, the page looked really bare and almost too basic. Thanks again for your tips and nice words!

Fair enough – am always glad to help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.