Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Moving WordPress from Localhost to Subdomain to Root of site.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Essentially what I want to do is move my site to a subdomain (test.mydomain.com) so I can test some things. After that I would then need to place it on the root of my site (mydomain.com). Possible without screwing things up?

SgtLegend

100% possible, just make sure to keep backups of before, during and after and you shouldn’t have to worry about a thing.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
    http://interconnectit.com/124/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

osiris

One of the best features of Dreamweaver is its site manager. Even without it, its not too difficult to create a zip of your entire site, then move it to your testing server. If you set up a subversion server (or app), you can keep track of the changes you make.

chrisburton
    Participant

I think I’ve used Dreamweaver for about a day. I have to say I’m not a fan of anything it offers. I use ST2. I’m not too skilled in development or if at all in the backend so I usually just read tutorials on these types of things. Appreciate the help from everyone.

jatinh

You could always export all your WordPress content as an xml file, and import it on a fresh install on your website if nothing else works.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thank you for the tutorial, @JoshWhite. Much appreciated and easier than I thought.

Loubou

Hi. I am trying to make a test site on wordpress. I have a created a subdomain. I want to keep my current website live so that I can work on the new one without any problems. I want to move from WPEC to Woocommerce and also change my theme. There is an extension that I can use to export all my products from WPEC to Woocommerce so I need a replica of my website put onto my subdomain so that I can do this. I have imported my current sql database to the test domain and I have also uploaded all of my WP Content files to my subdomain. I followed the steps above set out by @joshwhite for changing the options tables etc… The problem is that none of my info has come into my test site. It’s all as if it’s a brand new installation still. None of my products are there or anything. The theme is like the original theme. Not my layout. Please can someone offer me any advice? I basically need a replica of my website to be put onto the subdomain. I have done all of the steps above. I’m confused….it just looks like a new installation. :-( I thank you all in advance and Happy New Year! :-)

Andy Howells
    Participant

I may be wrong, but the way I handle WordPress local, staging and live is adding to each placement’s individual wp-config.php;

define(‘WP_HOME’,’http://domain.whatever’);
    define(‘WP_SITEURL’,’http://domain.whatever’);

Works for me, then you don’t have to mess about with the MySQL each time and can have a consistent SQL between all of them.

Note sure if anyone can point to a potential problem with this method though?

chrisburton
    Participant

Did you export your database?

Andy Howells
    Participant

@Chrisburton No I just host the DB in a live location from the beginning, so sit it on one of our VPS servers or wherever it would be ending up.

chrisburton
    Participant

@andy_unleash Ha. That question was towards the person above you (@loubou).

Andy Howells
    Participant

My bad! Just realised from August as well – nothing to see here folks, ignore me and move along!

Loubou

Eek, I didn’t realise anyone had replied. :-( Just changed my settings. Hi yes @chrisburton I imported the database. Someone told me that I should use the export/import tool in wordpress admin. I did that. Now all my products and everything are there but I had to change a lot of things. Why wasn’t it a carbon copy? Also my theme still isn’t the way I customised it to be. It’s the original file that I purchased. :-( Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to buy a new theme and use a different shopping cart anyway. Problem is that i don’t want to do the all work on them on the test site/subdomain and then have all of these problems again when I try to put it back onto my main domain. That would seriously send me under so I rather find out what is wrong now instead. Then I will be good to go. :-) @andy_unleash I had left my comment a few ago so no worries! ;-)

chrisburton
    Participant

@Loubou I would suggest contacting the theme owner if you’ve exhausted all your efforts.

Loubou

@chrisburton I can’t. He’s really sick and been out of action since July. :-( Hopefully I can figure it out. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.