Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Mac on Windows?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nile

Hello, many of you have seen software such as VMWare Fusion, or Parallel Desktops that let windows run on mac. Can I get this on windows? I want a window that has a mac inside. :D

Thanks-Nile

vincent

I don’t think so. You can look around on vmware.com. There is something called VMware Workstation that works the same way the VMware Fusion works (Mac version), but I don’t think you can install OSX, just like Linux and stuff.

Matt

Running Mac OS X on a non-Apple manufactured computer is a breach of the EULA. You can be sued for it. It’s a complicated matter, but for sake of being safe, don’t do it.

Nile

Windows on a mac = Legal
    Mac on a windows = NOT?

Explanation please.

vincent

I don’t know… But your life would be ruined if you got sued by Apple :O

Matt
    "Nile" wrote:
    Windows on a mac = Legal
    Mac on a windows = NOT?

Explanation please.

I make software A, I tell you that you cannot run it on hardware B. As far as the law goes (for now), if you run it on hardware B, I have the right to sue to for invalidating our agreement and continued use of my product.

The law may soon change though. There is a court case going on right now to see if Apple can really enforce that. Until then, there is a software mechanism in the Mac OS X installer to prevent installation on non-Macintosh machines. The file that enforces it is at /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext. If you remove it, the mechanism goes away, but the entire system locks up on itself because that file is a dependency for many of the core components, including the kernel.

TheDoc

It’s funny that this was just posted today as I’m looking into building my own Mac Pro.

I’m an Apple fan through and through, but I am not going to shell out $2500 for a Mac Pro when I can build one myself (a better one at that) for less than half the price.

vincent

Yeah… Macs are nice and stuff, but the prices are RIDICULOUS. My Gateway PC is like a 2.8GHz Quad Core, dual video cards, etc, etc, and it’s less than half the price…

Amen. I’d kill to be able to use Snow Leopard, but there is simply no way I can justify shelling out over $3000 for a top-of-the-line Mac Pro, or even a Macbook Pro. I can build a better PC for less than $1500 last I checked, and that includes two widescreen monitors and all peripherals!

*coughOSX86cough*

TheDoc

For people interested, this is what I’m looking into:

"How to Building a Hackintosh with Snow Leopard – From Start to Finish"
    http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-bu … -to-finish

$900 for:

[img]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/17/2009/09/500x_wishlist.jpg[/img]

Matt
    "Indubitable Turtle" wrote:
    *coughOSX86cough*

Might as well say: This site is not endorsed by CSS-Tricks, Chris Coyier, or anybody affiliated with CSS-Tricks.

You can download a modified version of OS X, but be aware that installing it and using it, especially without paying for it, is against the law unless you are a registered Apple Developer.

EDIT
    Ok, for those of you who think I’m doubting, I do use OSx86 on one of my AMD’s. I’m just trying to inform people that Apple does consider it a violation, and some applications (like Silk, barely used but it’s still there) will refuse to launch on a modified platform.

vincent

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible. I wish I would of known about OSX86 before. It sounds like a lot of work though. I already try to learn to many things rather than specializing in just a few as it is, so I’m probably better off sticking with genuine Apple products. But, even though I’m liking Apple products, I’m glad there’s some people that are exploring other ways to use them. Apple makes great quality and functional products with great design. Apple has kind of separated themselves from the PC market to allow themselves to charge higher prices. They made it so if you want to use certain apps, or OSs, you have to buy their product (another recent example, the Google Voice app on the App Store). The Apple marketing teams are geniuses, I don’t usually get sold on things just because they are trendy, especially things that are so much over priced. Hopefully, in the future, something can make Apple lower its prices.

TheDoc

For those further interested in my post above, I priced everything out on the Canadian website and it was only about $150 more, so I was pretty happy about that.

I will keep you guys updated if/when I take the plunge.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.