Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Learning Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nolan

I am looking to become a web designer (and/or developer) and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions as to what would be good to learn. I am taking a Software Engineering and Web Development class where I am learning Visual Basic, C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript, and basic Web Design(HTML, CSS, etc.). I enjoy the programming side (I went to nationals for VB.Net), but I’ve been thinking that I like Web Design/Development better. For the last year or so I’ve been faithfully following Blogs devoted to Web Design (CSS-Tricks, Nettuts, SixRevisions, etc.), but I see so many different languages being mentioned and taught, I have trouble deciding witch ones to learn. I know HTML, CSS, a good bit of JavaScript, some PHP, and a bit of jQuery.
    Please, post any suggestions or email me at [email protected], thanks.

TheDoc

You MUST master HTML and CSS before moving onto anything server side, in my opinion.

HTML and CSS are the backbone of any Front End Web Developer. Once you’ve got both of those mastered, you really can go any which way. Some people will recommend PHP, some people will say Javascript. I went the PHP route as my next step and I think it was the better way to go, but I think it all comes down to how you learn at that point.

I found it easier to learn PHP than JS, and once I was confident in PHP I was better prepared to move into CMS’s (or pseudo-CMS’s like WordPress).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.