Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Learning multiple skill sets at one time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    theplastickid
    Participant

I am curious when others are learning a new skill set do you maintain or attempt to maintain pace with existing skill sets you already have. Or do you take a gamble, let them fall by the waist side and attempt to catch up later down the line.

For example my day job relies heavily on SEO so I am always trying to keep up with SEO trends. But in my free time I am teaching myself to program. I find I flip between the two but nothing solid ever comes from either…

Andy Howells
    Participant

Do you want to be a jack of all trades or a master of one?

Personally I have HTML/CSS nailed down tight and my current learning revolves around JavaScript. I have a handle on PHP as much as I need for front end development, but I don’t want to get into the more complex parts of PHP.

Basically once I have JS down, I’ll just be spending all my time with HTML/CSS/JS and a little dash of PHP. I can’t learn everything, so anything beyond those, I get someone else to do!

I’d rather be an expert in those 3 than forget parts or struggle to balance my knowledge of more languages like Ruby or whatever.

notfilc

Pretty much the same as @AndyHowells but with a little more PHP, enough PHP for the front-end and being able to at least understand what’s going on in the backend.

I think it’s hilarious when you see job adverts like:

2 years experience in HTML/CSS/Ruby/ASP.net/C#/MySQL/SEO/PHP/JavaScript/jQuery/Mootools
    design experience would be a bonus

arachattack
    Participant

@notfilc @AndyHowells am sailing in the same boat. HTML CSS nailed down. But a total newbie in JS. Any resources you’d like to share?

@theplastickid
    I’d recommend you go one after the other…Take baby steps and become a master.

notfilc

The jQuery manual is a great way to learn jQuery. JavaScript: The Good Parts is a well regarded book for learning JavaScript.

hsaker

I’ve been learning quite a bit of javascript on codecademy.com and codeschool. I too am guilty of jumping around front end, back end, design. Having actual projects really helps me curtail this tendency because I only have so many hours in a day. Stuff on the back burner is always calling my name but as long as I’m occupied with what’s in front of me and my next deadline I can USUALLY keep my roll in check.

dfogge
    Participant

i find that working on a side-project that incorporates everything you’re currently studying really pays off.

theplastickid
    Participant

Hi hsaker i tend to find this helps me too however I find the projects I am working on of course are skill sets I am currently pretty good at. The ones I want to develop I don’t get projects doing because my skills aren’t good enough. Catch 22 lol

Andy Howells
    Participant

Fake it till you make it. Seriously. The best thing I did when I started Unleash was to literally just say yes to everything.

It meant I was constantly challenged and having to learn by doing, nothing motivates more than a deadline!

Also, if you want to code, get a designer. Whether it’s a graphic freelancer or in house, it means you’re not designing to your skill set, or restricting your designs based on what you think you can do. That way when the design comes in you’ve got no choice but to stretch yourself and scramble to get it sorted!

theplastickid
    Participant

Yes easily said when building small web sites and scripts but i don’t think I can fake object oriented programming applications lol

Alen
    Participant

> [SEO & Coding]… I find I flip between the two but nothing solid ever comes from either…

The two are different genres of work.

If you know programming, it’s easier to apply those skills sets to another language because most programming languages are alike.

I started with HTML & CSS. Then moved on to PHP/MySQL. Picked up JavaScript & jQuery. And now learning Ruby on Rails.

You can allocate some (15 min) daily to stay up to date on previous stuff you know. And dedicate more time to new skills. I think hardest thing is to learn how to manage your time. Especially, if you have two kids like me…. :)

theplastickid
    Participant

Well I have no kids and still no time! lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.