Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Is scaling possible?

• # December 2, 2008 at 9:22 am

I was wondering whether there was any coding that would allow my content to scale to fit the browser no matter what the size.

Insead of all my content squashing up when the browser is resized, is there anything that allows say the font-size and image size to scale with the browser?

# December 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm
    Quote:
    Insead of all my content squashing up when the browser is resized, is there anything that allows say the font-size and image size to scale with the browser?

You mean when the user resizes the window? No. Modern browsers (Firefox 3, etc.) have a zooming option that can scale the entire page up or down, but the user has to choose to do that – there’s no way that I know of to invoke it automatically.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could write a JavaScript that grabbed the dimensions of the window, and then adjusted the dimensions of all the elements on your site accordingly, but…that would be an absolute pain in the neck :lol:

# December 3, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I vaguely recall a post over at a list apart sometime earlier this year that talked about removing or rearranging content blocks based on browser size… but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Yup, it is there, of course it’s from 2006 not earlier this year… http://www.alistapart.com/articles/switchymclayout/

Not exactly what you’re talking about, but it’s an alternate way to handle the same issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".