Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

I’m gaining confidence

• # April 26, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Chris,

Your screencasts are da bomb! I’m gaining more and more confidence in myself and my latent abilities. Its good to see that you have a very intuitive way of doing things.

A couple questions:

1) I noticed that you use the crop tool to slice rather then the slice tool, is this because the slice tool usually creates alot of unnecesarry boxes and guides and makes it all look complicated?

2) I will attempt to design a corporate site for a client in Pshop or Fireworks. Its going to be fixed width, is there a range (700-800px perhaps?) that I should aim to be within?

Thanks!

# April 26, 2008 at 10:03 pm

If you are deliberately trying to stay under 800px in width to accommodate people with monitor resolutions of 800×600, it’s a good idea to go about 775px at a maximum. This will make sure that if the site vertically scrolls and needs a vertical scroll bar there is room for that without then creating horizontal scroll as well.

The hip number to shoot for these days seems to be 960px. It is evenly divisible by lots of numbers, so it’s nice for grids, and it takes advantage of people with 1024×768 (or bigger) resolutions nicely.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".