Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

IE6 & IE7 under os x

• # April 16, 2008 at 11:35 am

hey guys,

I only have a mac and no chance to check my site on a pc.
    So I need to know about a way to check the IE6 & IE7 combability. I already know the site IE NetRenderer, but are there some other ways, like to install the IE6 browser e.g. ? the microsoft site only says there is no support and no download options anymore…

Thank you very much !

# April 16, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I had the same problem. For as far as I know there is not just a IE6 or IE7 for Mac. So you have to install VMware or something like that to run windows on your mac and try it in that. I didn’t like the idea of having windows on my mac, so I bought a cheap old windows-laptop and using that for testing on windows…

# April 16, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Here is one way to do it:
    http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

Otherwise VM Ware or Parallels is the way to go!

# April 16, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Wauw! I just installed it and I am so happy with this! I was looking for something like this for a long time.
    I didn’t tested it totally yet, but for now I am very excited. Thank you very much! :D

Edit: A few minutes later… IE6 works fine, but IE7 keeps on crashing the whole time :(
    After all it would be nice if it would work perfect, for now I’ll keep my windows-laptop ;)

box
    # April 16, 2008 at 6:56 pm

I run Parallels and have XP installed on it with multi-IEs side-by-side. I would think something like this is the best solution because it displays the sites on the IE browser in its native environment, complete with weedy font rendering and grainy screen lol. Parallels is well worth the money in my view. The other bonus was that my OEM version of windows xp pro installed AND registered without issue.

# April 17, 2008 at 11:12 am

Thanks for all the answers!
    But a last question wine only runs on a intel based mac, and at this moment my g5 started to cry !
    vmware is no freeware, isnt’t it ?! are there any other programms like this two ?!

# April 17, 2008 at 6:38 pm

You can buy an old laptop and turn windows on it like I did, I think that will cost less then 200 dollar and is an easy way to get things tested. The only thing you have to do is to connect both laptops to the same network and you can test your websites in real-time on mac and windows… A better way for sure would be if there was a good light-wight IE-emulator on mac, but by the lack of that, I think this would be a good alternative :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".