Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I am offically a Webmaster, what now?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dcp3450
    Participant

I was just hired on as the webmaster for a statewide tech school with over 11,000 students, over 500 faculty, and a fair amount of staff. And yes, I am the only web guy they will have. :o

I’ve been doing websites as freelance for years but never for a "company". Any veterans out there wanna give some advise to a greenhorn?

I thought my first day I would start mapping the site and cleaning it up. Try to see where students, teachers, and staff may be getting lost…

Any direction on how to present myself, want to do from the start, etc would be great!

TheDoc

First, congratulations! While it may seem daunting, it’s probably incredible experience.

I don’t particularly have any advice for you except for this: don’t get in over your head. If you need outside help, ask for it!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Make sure you look lazy and arrogant – when people try and explain what they want make them feel like morons. Drink ridiculous amounts of hot beverages and/or coke, and make sure you make it to work late and scruffy at least 3 times a week and definitely on Mondays.

Work half a day on Friday, and always ware jeans for the half you are there. Always answer personal mobile(cell) phone calls when in the middle of a conversation with someone. Oh, and never lift the seat. This will make you fit in with the stereotype perfectly :D

But seriously:

I think you will find its actually a lot less daunting than you think its going to be – the only thing I would really be worried about is the state of the code you are inheriting… lol

Basically you will be fine! There are so many jobs-worth out there you will be like a shining beacon of professionalism.

dcp3450
    Participant

I’ve been going over their code in firebug. After playing around I’ve found some div’s that have no purpose. If you remove them, nothing happens. Even the id or class they call isn’t listed in the css.

sebgonz

Sounds a lot like some of the sites I’ve been working on lately. So many of them are completely screwy and are completely outdated. Good luck with the new position.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.