Gravatar is an awesome web service that allows you to associate an image (your personal avatar) with your email address. Your Gravatar follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things like comment on a blog or have a profile on a social site. This site uses it and a lot of other cool places like GitHub and Stack Overflow.
1. Go to http://gravatar.com
2. Click on the “Get your Gravatar today” button
3. Enter the email address you use most when commenting and signing up to sites
4. Check your email and click on the link they send you
5. Set your username and password
6. You will be asked to provide an image so go ahead and click “Add one by clicking here!”
7. Click upload, link to an existing photo or pose for your webcam
8. Crop and resize until you are happy with it
9. Give it a rating (like a movie). It’s best to aim for a G-rating (most sites won’t show avatars with a “higher” rating that that)
10. All done!
It’s as simple as that. You can also create a profile here for people who come checking you out.
If you choose not to use Gravatar, you can change your picture here on these forums by clicking on your profile and selecting “Change My Picture” then uploading one of your choosing. But Gravatar is the preferable way, as it will work here as well as the main CSS-Tricks blog, and around the web to other sites.