Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How much would you charge?

• # December 18, 2008 at 12:43 pm

How much do people charge to design a website? Do you charge by the hour, or by the job as a whole?

Ive been asked to redesign this page : http://streamingneeds.com/. The client’s not asked for anything major, just bring it into the 21st century. i never really know how much to charge, what do you guys think?

Rob
    # December 18, 2008 at 2:58 pm

the old "Just a redesign" gig eh :)

Well I suppose you need to tackle what kinda of things they need… and so forth.

What I would normally do is have a sit down with the client and a pencil and paper. Then start brainstorming ideas – find out about the company, and what they want to promote within it. Then you will know what needs to go on the front page – what kind of look they want (show some examples from around the web to give them some ideas) and what if any kind of CMS, system they might need.

There are so many questions when starting a project, even if its just a re-design, that it will save you time and money if you thrash them out to start with.

and the biggest thing… CONTENT. Unless they want you to write something (which will cost them more) make sure that they know the NEED the content ready or they are wasting your time.

Now if you are charging a set price, then after you have found out that information you could almost set one. If not go for an hourly rate. Personally I say £35 an hour, a simple site can take about 8hrs (full working day) to code and put up. IF it goes that smoothly then you are sorted, and its all ok. I like the hourly rate better as it gives you more control. The client has to be quick, otherwise it costs him more. If you set a price, they will try and "get their moneys worth"

What you have is the skill to promote their company to the world, pricing is hard because its down to experiance, quality, and professionalism. You have a skill they require, too cheap and alot of companies will run a mile… too expensive and the same will happen.

Personally for that job I would go on the hourly rate, and use Klock to track my time on the job.

I hope that made some sort of sense… lol

# December 18, 2008 at 11:54 pm

At work we charge by the hour, but when I freelance I charge per project.

I think charging a flat rate can still give you flexibility. If the client asks for more, you simply say that it will cost more. I will think off the top of my head how many hours I think it will take, add a couple on the end (for hiccups and bugs) and set my price.

What you charge will vary depending on location, skill, etc. I charge $50/hour.

You’ll find prices will range across the board. You won’t be able to apply someone else’s wage to yourself, even if you’re of the same skill set, because location comes into account.

Overall, if you think it’s FAIR, then it’s the right price.

Remember, most people are expecting to pay big dollars, don’t let them down!

Rob
    # December 19, 2008 at 4:33 am
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Remember, most people are expecting to pay big dollars, don’t let them down!

I think thats the main thing, most good business people will be expecting to pay for quality. :)

# December 24, 2008 at 11:23 am

I have done a site for my first major client, and I charged for the full set up, its nearly complete, after all content is what I am waiting for.

This is my first major client as i said so it has given me an insight to what I should be asking from the client, and what they should expect.

this major site I have done is quite a big one, and incorporates wordpress (which I had to learn from scratch) and it has 2 microsites so it is roughly 200 pages all in without the wordpress posts/pages.

so I think I have done the wrong thing, I should have charged by the hour cause I have spent many hours changing things for the client as and when they wanted it.

in that respect I will be charging in future per hour and I think about £25-35 sounds fair, after all it is a skill that they do not possess and if they want to have a site, they could potentially pay lots more money for a lot less site.

ik

# December 25, 2008 at 4:30 pm

ikthius, it’s still fine to charge a flat fee.

If a client requests changes, you simply tell them that it will cost more and add that cost on. Sometimes they’ll say okay that’s fine, or they’ll say they don’t want to bother. Either way you don’t get screwed.

# December 26, 2008 at 1:15 pm

cheers theDoc.

I know I screwed this one up, and in future I will explain it’s an hourly fee, as I found a prog called klox on here that can record how long a project takes.

ik

# December 27, 2008 at 12:05 am

At work we charge "by the project" unless the project is way too open ended to be able to estimate. The philosophy is that clients like seeing a hard dollar amount — rather than it being a surprise at the end. The estimates are based on hourly rates though, that we determine while talking about the project amongst ourselves. Usually $75/hr.

# December 27, 2008 at 12:06 am

Also, more thought/opinions here:

http://css-tricks.com/how-much-should-y … a-website/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".