Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

How do I FIND & style certain WordPress sections

• # December 29, 2008 at 1:14 pm

ah now I am getting you….. its not the styling your really after its adding new html to a file so that you can change your theme so that you can then style for the new html?…..

well, and this is the real bummer. the content you want to put in could be anywhere in your huge list of php files for wordpress.

but there are clues…. a bit of detective work and you will find where to add things to.

your main files are thte ones in your theme, so you might be able to add some html there and it changes.
    BUT, what if your using dynamic sidebars?
    you will have to find those php files that deal with it.

so as said above, a php file is kind of like the building blocks of the site, it brings in the first bit of html and so on (I know it does not only work on html, but its easier this way).

open your index.php and view the source in your browser first, find where you want to put your new code; is it the sidebar? then go to the sidebar.php and find where abouts you want to add your new html, remember php echos out html, so if you stick to what is around you should not bork things. is it in a dynamic sidebar or widget?
    then if you look at the php you should see what file it is trying to include, then you have to do some digging to find that php file. if you find it, then open it up and look carefully at the php and html (i prefer to look for the html first, there are more clues) then find the part you want to change/amend and hopefully it all works.

good luck, it took me about 3 months to figure all of my problems out in wordpress

Rob
    # December 29, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Yea like ikithus said – it can be a little digging and detective work – but once you understand it, its a little bit of a eureka! moment, so just keep going :D

Its simple when you know how – honest – its just getting to that bit :)

# December 29, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Thank you guys so much. Its all starting to come together. It is def trial and error but you learn each time and get past the road blocks. Thanks again.

Im pluggin away again, Im sure Ill be back on here in no time with my next road block to learn from.

# December 29, 2008 at 3:48 pm
    "LinCSS25" wrote:
    Thank you guys so much. Its all starting to come together. It is def trial and error but you learn each time and get past the road blocks. Thanks again.

Im pluggin away again, Im sure Ill be back on here in no time with my next road block to learn from.

well good luck,

let us see the finished article when its done

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".