Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Honest Design and Coding Critiques

• NIX
    # October 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

There are a few things. And again, these are only OPINIONS. So… take them with a grain of salt.

I don’t think it meets a few key logo criterion:

A. Awesome at any size. I think it would suffer if it ever had to be smaller for whatever reason. It’s always good to future proof yourself.

B. It relies too heavily on color. For example, it relies on the D and K being different colors. It’s fine to color a logo. TONS of companies do it, but it should also look spectacular in grayscale. This is not a rule I always follow but I should.

Also, it looks hand-drawn. That’s COMPLETELY fine if that’s the aesthetic you’re going for. Some of the most badass logos I’ve ever seen were made to look hand-drawn. And, almost ALL logos start out on paper so there’s no shame in that. But, I think… or rather know that you are capable of better technical execution.

Again, these are only opinions and I’ve included a few examples to show how bad I suck sometimes.

About 6 months ago, I designed a logo, which is essentially an app tile for an app I’m working on.

Here is the first real draft:

http://googledrive.com/host/0B4n4B8hVgqfhZ3piX1dyVXFpNnc/badlogo.png

That is HORRIBLE! Really dumb looking.

Here is what it looked like on the 15th draft:

http://googledrive.com/host/0B4n4B8hVgqfhZ3piX1dyVXFpNnc/beaccon.png

Still not perfect by any means but it looks a hell of a lot more professional.

I struggled with a personal logo too because the name Joe rarely looks cool. I tried and tried and finally came up with this:

http://googledrive.com/host/0B4n4B8hVgqfhZ3piX1dyVXFpNnc/NewJoe.png

Again, not perfect but I’m happy with it.

If I had ONE piece of advice, it would be to work on that logo until you’re so frustrated you could smash your computer. About an hour later, you’ll have something so cool you can’t believe it.

Ed
    # October 26, 2013 at 10:29 am

The first thing that stood out to me was I don’t like so much white text on the black background. I guess you’ve done that to have a lot of contrast, but it feels bad on my eyes.

Couple that with the uncoordinated colours for the icons, they stick out kind of badly too.

I also don’t like the very light font weight. It works nicely on large text, but not so much on the body copy. I just turned off the light weight in Firefox, and the slightly thicker characters are far more pleasing.

Using very light type in some places and then extrabold (“Recent Projects”) in some other places feels like a bit of a weird contrast.

I also agree with Joe_Temp’s remarks about the logo being sort of boring.

A lot of this critique is very subjective; what some people might like others might not, and you can never please everyone. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try.

NIX
    # October 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

A lot of this critique is very subjective; what some people might like others might not, and you can never please everyone. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try.

Exactly. These are all just opinions that are based on our taste. But… our taste doesn’t have to be yours. Food for thought.

# October 26, 2013 at 11:55 am

@Ed The logo I have right now is a redesign I’m working on per the advice of Joe_Temp – my original logo is here Your text to link here…

I’m not sure which I like best but I think the new one fits the sites theme a little better. As for the ‘thin’ font that is only on firefox because for some reason Firefox renders the font differently. I really hated the thick font it used and actually like the contrast but as you so to each his own.
    Anyway, any ideas on the new logo design vs. the old would be helpful

NIX
    # October 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Dude… you are SOOOOOOO MUCH closer. I like the new logo much more. The only thing I would say is the j isn’t necessary and crouds it a bit too much. Maybe just a lower case d back to back with a lower case k. Play around with different fonts and modify if necessary in a vector program.

I think it’s coming along nicely. Just keep plugging away.

# October 26, 2013 at 11:26 pm

@Joe_Temp – you were right about dropping the J – helped make it look nicer (also added a “leg” to the d). I added some social media icons on the right of the header to which I think fills out the page a bit more.

NIX
    # October 26, 2013 at 11:48 pm

SEE?! You’re the man. Way to stick with it.

Nothing to suggest for now. But I’ll leave you with a quote that designers misquote and overuse:

“Perfection is not achieved when there’s nothing left to add but rather when there is nothing left to take away.”

Actually… one more thing. Read this:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/17/lessons-from-swiss-style-graphic-design/

I highly suggest you do a cursory study in Swiss style design. It’s sexy as hell and I generally use it as a benchmark to shoot for.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".