Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Hello and help

  • # June 29, 2008 at 3:55 pm

    Hi guys!

    Chris suggested I join the forums… so here I am :D

    I was having trouble with my sidebar elements in my blog not centering in IE7, and after much hair pulling and code searching, looked on the web for a solution.

    I didn’t find one, but I did find CSS-Tricks…. such a great site :D

    I’ve upgraded my IE7 to IE8 now… and things are centering, but my sidebar moves below my main content when the page gets too small….

    any tips on correcting this?

    the site is located at http://www.template-designs.co.uk – it’s a work in progress….

    # June 29, 2008 at 4:54 pm

    Looks fine to me. Both IE7 and Firefox are rendering the same way.

    box
    # June 29, 2008 at 5:40 pm

    IE8 is in BETA, do not use it for testing web pages.

    # June 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm
    "Biofobico" wrote:
    Looks fine to me. Both IE7 and Firefox are rendering the same way.

    yeah, think it may be a glich with my IE7 :(

    # June 30, 2008 at 1:48 am

    I had this problem the other day when I was building a site for a class project. I found that my problem was that my wrapper div that contained the main content div and the sidebar div wasn’t big enough. I had a wrapper div that was like 910 pixels in width and the main content was 600 and the sidbar was 300 with a 10 pixel left margin. when i resized the browser the sidbar fell below the main content. So to fix it I had to increase the wrapper div by about 20 pixels. That fixed it. Then anything you put after that you have to use the clear:both rule otherwise things could get messed up.

    # June 30, 2008 at 7:05 am
    "cybershot" wrote:
    I had this problem the other day when I was building a site for a class project. I found that my problem was that my wrapper div that contained the main content div and the sidebar div wasn’t big enough. I had a wrapper div that was like 910 pixels in width and the main content was 600 and the sidbar was 300 with a 10 pixel left margin. when i resized the browser the sidbar fell below the main content. So to fix it I had to increase the wrapper div by about 20 pixels. That fixed it. Then anything you put after that you have to use the clear:both rule otherwise things could get messed up.

    thanks for this…. will try it

    # June 30, 2008 at 1:02 pm

    Sigh….

    The sidebar still dissappears under the main content when the screen is resized….
    I have no idea why this is happeneing.

    Can anyone please help?

    # June 30, 2008 at 10:08 pm

    when asking for help with code. there are a couple of things you need to do.

    1. Post a link to your site.
    2. post the code your having trouble with
    3. (optional) attach the code to the post for us to download.

    No one can help you unless they can see what you are doing wrong. this will help us help you faster. instead of now asking you questions, we could be giving answers. so my question would be.

    Do you have your main content in a wrapper div? did you float the main content and the sidebar div? is the width of your page sufficient for the main content and the sidebar?

    Always, always post your code. or a link to the site. then we can view source and see the code

    # July 1, 2008 at 1:55 am

    actually, he did post a link:

    Quote:
    the site is located at http://www.template-designs.co.uk – it’s a work in progress….

    although I’m not seeing the problem..

    # July 2, 2008 at 5:03 pm

    Thanks guys!

    I will endeavour to do this in future.

    I’ve taken the site down whilst I sort it out.
    Better to have no site than a site that doesn’t work in my opinion.
    I’ve put a holding page there though using LaunchPad http://www.template-designs.co.uk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".