Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

@Font Looks Bad In WebKit Browsers

• # January 23, 2013 at 10:59 pm

That’s actually debatable and depends on the font.

# January 23, 2013 at 11:09 pm

> That’s actually debatable and depends on the font.

That’s true – some fonts appear horribly smudged. But it seems to remove the jagged edges which , I believe, is what most people encounter on Chrome and Safari.

# January 24, 2013 at 12:23 am

I was referring to the posted link by the person above you, sorry.

# May 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

@LaurelBrittany … any system with Verdana will have Arial, so the fallback isn’t needed… also, Arial is fashioned after Helvetica and renders better than Helvetica on Windows, which is the default sans-serif. Helvetica is the default on OSX which looks better… On other OSes it’s another similar sans-serif font. Best for people to simply use “sans-serif” as the default, not specifying Arial, or Helvetica ever.

I cry a little inside when I see font definitions like: Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Open-Sans, sans-serif … where on most platforms, it’s the same as just using sans-serif, and if you happen to have more than one of the fonts installed, it may be using one not well hinted for that platform… just use ‘sans-serif’

# May 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I cry a little when anyone uses Helvetica. But regardless of the platform, Helvetica isn’t all that great on screen.

In my experience, I don’t ever recall seeing font stacks described above. Usually it’s something like:

`Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif`

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".