Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Fast-track learning procces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    GSG
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m 18 years old and I decided to go all-in with web development because somehow I always wanted to be a coder but I always given up at some point.

My plan for now is to watch every CSS-tricks.com videos, coding at the same time with the coder and then doing it again without help. Also, I started to listen the podcast and found some great insights, too!

Do you have others ideas to improve my skills to be able to take clients(simple-intermediate projects) within a year from now?

Thanks!

__
    Participant

learn, learn, learn, practice, practice, practice.

Timeframe is completely dependent on you, but there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to have a good handle on the basics within a year.

GSG
    Participant

@TheDoc – Haha, funny page.

Thanks for your advice, I will build and build again.

chrisburton
    Participant

@GSG Perhaps you could relay what you’re having trouble with exactly when it comes to development?

GSG
    Participant

@chrisburton – I just started learning(relearning) and there are tons of frameworks and informations about web developing so it is a bit hard to choose right.

I made the transition from pro poker player to coding and in poker industry there are also tons of materials, but because of my experience I know to choose.

My main two question are:

What technologies includes the front-end development?

What means proficient for you in front-end web development?

Thanks for helping!

I’m asking because like you said, my thoughts are unclear and I want to set good objectives.

__
    Participant

The first things you need to learn about and become familiar with are HTML and CSS. HTML is the structure of your webpage, and CSS controls how it is displayed.

HTML is your first priority: nothing else will work effectively (or at all) if you don’t understand HTML.

After those two, if you’re sticking with the front end, Javascript would be next.

nixnerd
    Participant

The first things you need to learn about and become familiar with are HTML and CSS.

this++

You’re going to want to move on before you probably should. REALLY make sure you know them well before you move on to JS. It will help you down the road in considering if you REALLY need JS on a project. You’ll know the ABSOLUTE limits of CSS and how far you can push it before it gets cumbersome.

GSG
    Participant

Thanks guys, you really help me with your tips.

One more question:

Back in 2006-2008 PSD to HTML&CSS was a very popular method for building website.

What is your process for building a website in 2014?

From what I learnt until now, I think the process is like this: Make a mockup in Photoshop and then open HTML&CSS editor and write as much code as you can without using slice methods etc.

Am I right?

shaneisme
    Participant
    nixnerd
    Participant

I think the process is like this: Make a mockup in Photoshop and then open HTML&CSS editor and write as much code as you can without using slice methods etc.

Some might approach it differently but I NEVER do mock-ups in any photo editing software. Ever. I think it is unhelpful at best. I will perhaps sketch something on paper… but that’s it. I literally open up a text editor and just start coding.

The biggest thing I don’t want to do is get my heart set on some design or design element that cannot be done reliably in the real world of code. Especially when it comes to responsive design. There’s certain things that just don’t really work.

I work all by myself though. If I worked on a team with a ‘real’ designer who makes mock-ups in Photoshop… then I’d have to learn that skill. For right now, I never do it that way.

chrisburton
    Participant

Some might approach it differently but I NEVER do mock-ups in any photo editing software. Ever. I think it is unhelpful at best. I will perhaps sketch something on paper… but that’s it. I literally open up a text editor and just start coding.

I still think mockups are important, especially for explaining to clients the approach you took in regards to UX. I can see this working for specifically development but for UI and UX purposes, not so much.

nixnerd
    Participant

I still think mockups are important, especially for explaining to clients the approach you took in regards to UX.

What I do in this situation is I actually code up a basic version. That way, they can see the interactions. Is it polished? No. But arguably a mock-up wouldn’t be either. My way isn’t the ‘best’ way. Just the method I prefer. I have found that for me specifically, they are an extra step that doesn’t necessarily improve the final product.

But… that’s not to say you shouldn’t wire-frame at all. I’m just saying I don’t use Photoshop or any other photo editor. @chrisburton does and that’s cool.

If mock-ups in Photoshop work for you, use ’em OP. But also make sure you understand the constraints that CSS might put on your design. Far too many designers aren’t totally familiar with how to implement code and what challenges that might involve. Granted, that’s becoming more rare but I still see it with friends’ stuff.

__
    Participant

I still think mockups are important, especially for explaining to clients the approach you took in regards to UX.

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with a mockup, as long as it’s not “the website.” If you make a PSD with the mindset that all the work is done and the only thing left to do is to “convert” it to HTML, you’re doing it wrong.

Now, if you ask what I do, I block the design out [mentally, or on paper] and then start writing HTML. I only use photoshop[-like programs] to create actual graphics.

: )

nixnerd
    Participant

If you make a PSD with the mindset that all the work is done and the only thing left to do is to “convert” it to HTML, you’re doing it wrong.

This is the crux of the issue and a truer statement has never been uttered on these boards. It’s not the mock-up that’s the problem, it’s the approach AFTER the mock-up is done.

One thing I do think is the wrong approach is slicing. I think slicing is dirty, archaic and totally unnecessary. But, do mock-ups if you must… especially if they help you visualize things.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh and for the record… I used to mock-up EVERYTHING in Photoshop. Just lost the taste for it, but that’s just my personal style.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.