Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Excerpt with image and link

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bojo70

Hi all!
    Now I am in the process of designing my first theme and I want to have some videotutorials just like on this site. I would like the post about the video to be just like an excerpt with a miniature image, and when you click on the post you get to the full post with the video and more information.

I have managed to show just the excerpt (just text) to specific categories on the first page, but when clicking on it it shows the post with only the excerpt.

I´m guessing this is a simple design flaw of mine. Should there be a template for single post showing the full post?

And how can I insert an image in the excerpt with a link to the full post? (When I just inserted an image with html it broke my post design.)

I just solved the first issue. A single.php template was just missing.
    Now, to insert an image in the excerpt that does not mess up my design and provides it with a link is next on the list.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I’d look into using Custom Fields to apply that image, and then pulling it out and displaying it in the same loops you use to display the excerpt:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Custom_Fields

(The custom field would be a link to the location of the image)

Bojo70

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Chris, I´ll look into custom fields. Seems like a not so known feature but yet very powerful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.