Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Editor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    powerj

I am sure the problem I have is the very most basic.

I’m currently using Aptana Studio, but have used a bundle of different editors and they all seem much the same. I’m currently using Aptana only because there’s a good tutorial on Lynda that I can refer to and I just don’t have the time to fully immerse myself in these things.

I use Sass (which is hopefully irrelevant to this issue). My issue is this:

I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to work out why my CSS isn’t working and 9/10 times it turns out to be some stupid spelling mistake. An example the other day – I had text-align: justified; Spent ages trying to work out what was going wrong, when it’s ‘justify’ not ‘justified’!! There must be some simple way of having errors like this highlighted. I’m sure it’s a simple solution but I’ve yet to find it.

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s just the basics of CSS. I would recommend learning it before jumping into SASS.

Watson90

Yeah as @chrisburton said, you need to get CSS down before you move onto using a preprocessor such as SASS or LESS.

I have been developing with websites for approx 2 years now and I still don’t use preprocessors. Although I think I will start to soon.

As for the mistakes that you’re making. That could just be down to tiredness, but if they’re occuring alot then you need to get more used to the language.

TheDoc

The preprocessor should be telling you where the error is, though. LiveReload does that, I’m sure the other ones do as well, no?

powerj

Thanks for the feedback. I know CSS back to front, upside down and inside out – but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m human and make typos. The preprocessor does throw an error if you say – have an extra bracket or omit a bracket but compiles fine for the example I gave above.

PS I’ve been using SASS for about 4 months now – it’s the best

chrisburton
    Participant

@powerj Of course, we all make mistakes. But if you were to use ST2, they automatically show the correct syntax when you start to type. Just hit tab as you start typing and it finishes it for you.

Screenshot: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/LUer

chrisburton
    Participant

Very nice @joshuanhibbert.

Off topic: Has twitter contacted you yet?

chrisburton
    Participant

Oops. I think I forgot to tell you that they require a “company” (your domain’s) email address. I bet if you submitted that originally, you’d have the username by now.

powerj

Thanks guys. I’ve come up with this solution – I’ve made a few changes to the theme in the preferences and I now have different parts of the syntax showing in different colours. So if I happen to type ‘pading-right’ instead of ‘padding-right’ it shows in a blatantly different colour.

chrisburton
    Participant

@powerj I’ve noticed in Sublime that if the syntax is fairly new, it will do the same thing…unfortunately.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.