Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Does hand-coding make me a good designer?

• # February 23, 2013 at 9:13 am

Hi All,

I’ve been wondering…While I do know a bit of plain vanilla HTML/CSS, I do not know some of the latest commands and cannot handcode vendor prefixes. But when I use the emmet plugin, Sass or less, I kick ass.

Does this make me any less of a developer?

# February 23, 2013 at 9:19 am

If you understand what Emmet, SASS & LESS kick out at the end…then no.

If you don’t then I would say yes. As a ‘developer’ you should understand what your code is for and doing.

BTW….a designer and a developer are not the same thing. You can be one or the other or both,

# February 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

Same with JavaScript and jQuery I guess. I know JavaScript syntax (like do calculations, manipulate strings etc.), but without jQuery I’d have to Google a lot for the simplest DOM accessing and manipulation functions.

Anyway, vendor prefixes aren’t that hard, though it gets more annoying if the syntax is different too… like border-radius and gradients. I copy paste most of that (from notes I have around).

# February 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

Knowing more about coding can only make you better. :)

# February 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

true. again.. are you a bad developer if you don’t know to handcode?

# February 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

@arachattack That’s a crucial part of being a developer.

# February 24, 2013 at 2:20 am

@arachattack developer? yes.

designer? maybe. ;)

# February 24, 2013 at 2:30 am

If you don’t understand what you’re coding, is it even appropriate to refer to it as coding? Much in the same way as reading requires a basic facility with language, so coding requires an understanding of basic coding principles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".