Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Does anyone run their own web server?

• # May 24, 2013 at 12:59 am

This has been a real area of intrigue to me for SEVERAL years. I operated a Linux server with RAID 1 at home for a few years until I realized that for file storage… it might be overkill. But it was awesome. Now I just back things up with externals.

Still, the server beckons me. I’m considering buying another server and using it to host all the sites I want to build.

My question is: Has anyone here done this? Is it worth the effort?

# May 24, 2013 at 2:16 am

Save yourself the hassle and get a VPS if you want to play around. Hosting from your home, its probably not allowed by your internet provider, many ports are blocked and not to mention speed. I have a home file server running headless version of Ubuntu server that I mannage via SSH. But I wouldn’t bother hosting my website.

# May 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

I agree with @AlenAbdula regarding a VPS.

# May 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I would no doubt have to get a business connection for it to be allowed and then, there goes any cost savings.

I guess it’s just the idea of total control and self-sufficiency that appeals to me.

I know a guy that makes his own biodiesel for $0.41/gallon. I would liken it to that… But more of a pain for sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".