Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Date disappeared from my comments

• # July 16, 2009 at 8:53 pm

This is my first exploration into wordpress and I’m enjoying it-all the amount of endless troubleshooting is frustrating-I’m learning .php straight up from chris’s video tutorials and it’s a lot more to deal with than I expected-I’m feeling comfortable with html and css at this point.

I’m pretty much building this blog based on chris’s 3part wordpress series-in some regards-in other ways I’m changing it-so I hope no one thinks I am ripping off the design.

I got everything working correctly-and then I made a custom page template for the home page-so I could display a large image without a sidebar-and then the date disappeared from my comments-I know I must have deleted some chunk of php while following chris’s video tutorial- but I cannot figure out what it is-I don’t know if I should start back at the beginning with a fresh install of starkers-that would be an awful lot of backtracking.

Here’s the link:
    http://mollyquinn.com

Hope someone can help in pointing the way for me to get the date back on my comments-I’m sure it’s something very obvious-but I’m running circles around it right now-but it’s still hard to decipher all the php.
    Thanks

# July 17, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I dont see any comments?

# July 17, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Sorry- I meant to say posts-

# July 18, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I must admit to being somewhat confused. You say the problem occurred when you made a custom page template. The thing is, your posts and everything related to them (date’s etc.) have nothing to do with pages, custom or otherwise. Posts and all of their corresponding meta data are served up from either index.php or single.php, whereas pages are delivered by, suprisingly enough, page.php.

If I were you I would download a fresh copy of starkers and compare the offending files to see what it was you accidently ditched.

Hint. The lines you are searching for look something like this:

Code:

< ?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?>

< ?php the_time('l, F jS, Y') ?> at < ?php the_time() ?>

# July 18, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I believe I did something in the single.php file.

I am going to schlep through it-and troubleshoot-thanks apostrophe!

# July 20, 2009 at 11:02 am

I’m still trying to figure why all the styling for posts (including the date) disappeared) out-and in the process my sidebar is now not floating to the right-when before it was floating to the right perfectly.
    Maybe I added a clear float in one too many-or took one away-it’s easier to see something like that when all the code is on the same page for me instead of chunks of code on different pages in php. I guess if I schlep through it I will become more comfortable with php.

# July 20, 2009 at 11:45 am

The easiest way to inspect it is to load the page in your web browser then "view source".
    Validating your markup is also a great help http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmollyquinn.com%2Fnews%2F
    Also, every time you add a closing div tag, give it a comment so you know which div it is closing.
    eg.

Code:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".