Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Contactform7 sends emails on behalf of …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    C2S
    Participant

Dear members,

I recently ran into an issue.
    Whenever I use Contactform7 on WordPress, the emails that are being sent are sent on behalf of the server.
    So it looks like this in Outlook and Roundcube.
    Email is sent by [email protected] on behalf of [the inserted email address] in contactform.
    I think this is happening because my mailhosting and websitehosting are different (correct me if Im wrong).

The idea is that whenever I receive emails from my contactform I only want to see [ inserted email in contactform].

Anyone any idea, how to fix this ?

__
    Participant

I think this is happening because my mailhosting and websitehosting are different (correct me if Im wrong).

That’s basically correct: specifically, because your host’s mail server has a different domain name than your website/ the from address.

The idea is that whenever I receive emails from my contactform I only want to see [ inserted email in contactform].

Two possible solutions:

• The “on behalf of” message is added by your mail client (gmail does this, outlook, several others). It’s a very good security feature that helps prevent email spoofing and phishing attacks. But if you don’t like it, find an email client that doesn’t do this.
    • Run your own mail server.

Nothing else to be done about it. And, as pointed out above, it’s not actually a “bad” thing.

C2S
    Participant

Thank you for your response.

I tried something else, both mailserver and site on one hosting.
    But still encountered this problem in Outlook and Roundcube.
    However this hostingservice gives me a lot of freedom to mess around with MX.
    Do you know perhaps a way I can change the configuration so the ‘on behalf of’ gets turned off.

Also is it possible to hardcode it in contactform7 ?

__
    Participant

As I explained above, the “on behalf of” message is something the mail client does. It is not something you have control over.

The only real solution would be to authenticate your own emails. This involves adding a cryptographic key to your MX records, and digitally signing the emails you send. It is not something that you can implement solely in PHP. This blog article is a good introduction to email signing and authentication.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.