Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Canine Coworkers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

How many of you work in an office/home office with a doggie? I just rescued a dog and he’s laying beside my desk right now. Pretty awesome. I feel like he lowers my stress level a bit. If you haven’t tried it… you should!

nixnerd
    Participant

I guess we can open this up to cats too if that’s your thing. Most are too aloof for my liking.

__
    Participant

Two.

Chihuahua, found tied to a streetlight in 110°F weather. Somewhere between 7-10 years old now. Has hip dysplasia, cataracts and glaucoma (all common for older chihuahuas).

Terrier mix, from a neighborhood litter. 3 years old with a beautiful brindle coat. Very affectionate, loyal, and jealous. He’s almost too big to be a lap dog now, but he’ll never accept that.

nixnerd
    Participant

Nice! Good to hear other people work with pets!

He’s actually a purebred Redbone Coonhound. We named him Red. He’s big, has a great nose and acts just like a typical hound. He wants to run every squirrel he sees up a tree. He wants to hide his bones instead of chew them. He likes to play hide and seek, using his nose to find treats. Other than that… he lays around all day. Totally lazy unless it’s playtime. For me, he’s the perfect pup.

Here he is laying on an old blanket the day we got him:

__
    Participant

He’s beautiful. I had a basset hound when I was a kid.

nixnerd
    Participant

He’s beautiful.

Thanks! He’s a pretty handsome boy.

I had a basset hound when I was a kid.

My sister has always had basset hounds. I always found hounds to be really funny dogs. Something about the long ears and wrinkly skin is really appealing to me. They’re clowns.

__
    Participant

They’re hilarious. three feet long, ten inches high. Then, suddenly, they’re four feet in the air (still perfectly horizontal, though) with a bird in their mouth.

Plus their ears are fully grown at birth. They trip on them constantly as puppies.

nixnerd
    Participant

She also plays fetch.

Ha ha ha. I’ve only met one cat that played fetch and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

That’s a nice looking dog you got, though.

Thanks! He makes a good family dog. Looking forward to many years with him.

shaneisme
    Participant

I’m actually a dog behaviorist on the side. I just got my first dog after a lull of a few years because my lifestyle just wasn’t conducive to owning one.

I was looking for someone that’s not going to be adoptable by the average person so I can help open up a spot this rescue I’ve worked with so they could fill it with a more adoptable pup. She’s extremely sensitive and insecure, but we’re getting better every day.

I wish beyond all wishes that I could bring her into the office, but ASUS isn’t the kind of hip place that would allow it. Maybe someday.

https://plus.google.com/102795038517877253955/posts/fcf7KTkE4Ht

TheDoc

Here’s Minnow. We adopted her a little over a year ago from a shelter in Mexico. She’s a total weirdo but we love her all the same.

We can’t currently have dogs in the office but we might be moving soon to a place that will allow it which would be great.

http://instagram.com/p/rNqA2tvhJj

__
    Participant

My mother does nothing but “less-adoptable” rescues. Lots of sensitivity, and odd limits on what you can bring into the house. No balls, for example. They’re all wonderful dogs, though. I get really pissed thinking about the people who created their phobias/ problems/ etc..

nixnerd
    Participant

Wow. Everyone here has really cool dogs. If only I had property… I’d get 2 more!

On the whole “less adoptable” note… the shelter REALLY tried to talk us out of adopting Red. He’s a HARD CORE hunting dog and his bawl mouth bay is REAL loud. Smaller animals and even little kids just freeze when they hear it. They basically made him out to be Hannibal Lecter and told us all kinds of horror stories about how grown men couldn’t handle his bark and how all kids were afraid of him. They even disclosed that he was adopted once before but killed the neighbor’s pet rabbit… so he got brought back.

So… I guess you could call him “less adoptable” but I knew that some exercise and a stable home would make him calm right down. And now… he’s about as low maintenance as it gets. So… I wouldn’t really consider him less adoptable, more like a diamond in the rough.

The shelter didn’t have much back story on him because he was left in the overnight kennels. But, I have noticed two scars on his head. I strongly believe these to be from a raccoon he got into it with because he has zero trust issues with humans. I’ve had abused dogs before and for the most part, they’re much more skittish than he is.

I’m actually a dog behaviorist on the side.

Super random. I’m a trapper on the side.

We adopted her a little over a year ago from a shelter in Mexico.

Well Doc… looks like you’re just jet setting all over North America.

TheDoc

Well Doc… looks like you’re just jet setting all over North America.

haha there are actually a few different Canada/Mexico rescue organizations and one of them happens to be located where I live. We actually never saw Minnow before she arrived in Canada!

Another one for good measure :D

http://instagram.com/p/li5bxLPhEm

nixnerd
    Participant

I posted this on another thread but it got eaten. I don’t mind jacking this thread because I started it:

Do you know of Canada Goose parkas @TheDoc? Are they worth the money? Might be worth asking the other Canadian @Senff too.

Sorry to interrupt folks. Trying to shop for winter.

You really have a beautiful dog Dog. Looks like my old dog Rocky.

TheDoc

I posted this on another thread but it got eaten

I got an email that I had been mentioned in a thread and couldn’t find it anywhere. I know the brand but haven’t had a need for one. Victoria’s climate is the same as Seattle’s, not much need for a parka :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.