Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Between Python and Ruby

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CodeGraphics
    Participant

Please, I want to learn another language after php. I have python and ruby in mind. But I need the opinions of experienced developers to tell me the language they think I should learn and why I should learn it. I am not asking the best language between python and ruby. Both of them are great languages. But I need suggestions concerning the one I should go for. Thank you.

JoniGiuro
    Participant

I’ve done ruby for about a year and now I’m starting to work with django. I suggest django as it is a lot easier and everything just makes more sense (at least to me)

Alen
    Participant

I never experimented with Python/Django but Ruby/Ruby on Rails was very easy to pick up for me, especially if you have any experience working with MVC frameworks like Laravel (PHP).

> I want to learn another language after php.

When I was just beginner photographer, I always felt I needed more equipment.. more more more… and this prevented me from advancing my skills because I was too concerned about the tools. So I decided to limit my self to one camera and lens. And I forced myself to exhaust limitations of this combo. For a year I did this, and it made me better photographer.

From many of your posts on this forum, to me it looks like you are all over the place (I might be wrong). IMO you need to narrow down your focus. Everything you do takes certain amount of energy and attention. If you switch the focus of your attention from one subject to next all the time, you will burn out.

Hope that helps, Alen.

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree with Alen. What’s your actual level of knowledge in PHP? It would be pointless to jump into another language if you only know a few things.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

Thank you all. @Alen, I dont think am all over the place. My focus is only to be able to build web applications and then teach others how to do same.

I am currently learning PHP with Laravel and CodeIgniter. I know I will not be satisfied with one language. So I want to pick either Python or Ruby. I am not in a haste. I know I will have to take one step at a time.

According to few research I have made, I think I will have to go for Python. Yet, am not in a rush. I am taking my time to make sure I have at least 80% to 90% knowledge of the languages.

xueer

CodeGraphics, I do not identify myself as an expert but I am an enthusiast and starting to make a bit of money on the side. I don’t believe that you are “all over the place”. Everyone learns differently and even at my University I’ve taken 2 programming languages at once…not to mention the bleeping hardest OS class. It required knowledge of “C” or Assembly language and not many people know that going into their Jr year.

I looked at a few of your discussions and comments. It seems like the programming that you’re learning is just as focused as if you were in college studying computer science…with the exception of C and Java.

I think Python is an excellent choice because you seem to be interested in Server-side scripting languages and Python via Django is just that. It is also a marketable language in the business world. You can use Python for big data. Python can be very easy to learn, in the beginning anyway. I started off using the IDLE GUI and almost laughed out loud because the code hinting feels like cheating. Perl is another good one. NO two people learn alike. I often have many irons in the fire because if you need a tool, often times there is no time to finish learning every nuance of one language before starting another.

If you are interested I can pass along some info on the different objectives that are expected to be mastered to have a working knowledge of Perl, PHP, Python…and some others.

CodeGraphics
    Participant

> If you are interested I can pass along some info on the different objectives that are expected to be mastered to have a working knowledge of Perl, PHP, Python…and some others.

Am interested sir.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.