Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other 1. HTML 2. CSS 3… Rockclimbing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lookslikepat

Good morning tricksters!

I’m in desperate need of some advice.
    I’ve come to the point where I consider myself maxed out on CSS and HTML knowledge. Sure I’m learning new things every day, but nothing groundbreaking.
    So, I feel it’s time to move on to my 3rd code language.

Now, I wanna dive into Javascript and PHP/SQL.

So which of these would be the best to start with, after the "easy" world of visual HTML and visual CSS? Javascript because of it’s direct benefits and relations in webdesign? Or PHP/SQL because it’s easier to learn Javascript afterwards? Or would learning PHP/SQL make Javascript easier later on?

And if X/Y, any advice on a good first book?

On a sidenote I realized yesterday that I, as I’m sure many others did, gave up on code when I was young. When I was what, 9 or 10, I was programming Basic on my Vic-20. But then home video games came along and I stopped typing on my keyboard…

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I would go either jQuery or PHP…

Best way to start is here:

jQuery: http://blog.themeforest.net/screencasts … eo-series/
    PHP: http://blog.themeforest.net/screencasts … eo-series/

:)

lookslikepat

Thanks.

"Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    I would go either jQuery or PHP…

Well that’s my dilemma, which one is "the easiest" after html and css?
    …But cutting straight into jQuery, isn’t that too much progressing skipping?
    Feels like I should learn Javascript from the ground up, whilst learning jQuery. No?

I guess it’s just a matter of choosing one asap, not getting any younger or smarter talking about it , haha :D
    Ja… no, yeah ok Javascript. Onwards!

Matt

I was typing something earlier, but was rudely interrupted in the middle of it. I’ll post it anyways:

I would say learn either PHP or Django. RoR, in my eyes, is being phased out as a framework (many people would rather use Python over Ruby). PHP will always keep it’s place as a simple coding language, but Django is quickly rising to be the framework of choice. Most importantly, Django is OOTB more secure than PHP. I don’t mean to be elitist, but being able to skip most security checks makes a language more worth learning, because many people, especially me, find security to be the most important aspect of the application, next to usability.

Though, if you do decide on PHP, I recommend watching PHP with MySQL Essential Training and PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basics from Lynda.com. For security, read Essential PHP Security from O’Reilly Media.

If you want to learn Django, I recommend reading The Definitive Guide to Django: Web Development Done Right by Apress, and Dive into Python (Amazon link, but the book is free from here).

For JQuery, I recommend Learning jQuery: Better Interaction Design and Web Development with Simple JavaScript Techniques. This book had me ready to build an application after reading the first half.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.