Nathan Hardy shares when things “clicked”:
Reflecting back on this time, I think there are a few key concepts that were vital to things finally all making sense and fitting together. These were:
• The Box Model (e.g. box-sizing, height, width, margin, padding)
• Layout (e.g. display)
• Document Flow and Positioning (e.g. position, top, left, etc.)
I called this my ah-ha moment a few years back:
For me, it was a couple of concepts that felt like an unlocking of real power. It was a combination of these concepts that were my “Ah-ha!” moment.
• Every page element is a box.
• I can control the size and position of those boxes.
• I can give those boxes background images.
It’s really the deal.