Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Your Favourite Forum Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Darfuria

Hi guys. I need more of a developer demographic to talk to me about forums. I’ve been using forums for quite a long time now, but it seems as if they’ve been left behind in terms of innovation and ease of use when compared to the content management systems of today’s standards. I mean, WordPress being a fantastic example (although many would argue it isn’t a CMS), the classic "if have posts while have posts the post" loop is pretty much the foundation for pulling the content from the database into a template that you can so easily code yourself.

I’m sure many of us are aware of phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, SMF, and various others – but all of these seem to have the same cluttered, messy, ridiculous code issues that make it seem so overwhelming to develop a template for. So, if we put bbPress aside (and pray that it is taken under the wing of developers globally, so that it becomes a product that’s as good as WordPress is), what is the "if have posts while have posts the post" equivalent of WordPress in the world of forums, if such a thing exists?

Essentially, I’m looking for a piece of forum software that is fun to develop with. I know of one not.

craigfarrall

Hmm, a good question, and one I don’t have the answer too unfortunately.

I have used Vbulletin before, which I still consider to be the number one in forum software, but as mentioned above, this certainly has its drawbacks. The messy table code being one, but I think the most vital one is the ease of templating, it is very difficult having to use the admin styling system apposed to the simple stylesheet you can edit in your favourite editor.

I have also used IPB, and PHPBB again both have drawbacks.

I have recently started using bbpress which accompanies WordPress, and this seems much nicer to code for, but I am still in the early stages of that so can’t fully decide where this one lines up.

Would like to know what everyone else thinks the best forum software is.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.