Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS (X)HTML 5 “hybrid”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aoeui
    Participant

hi,

what do you use more?

XHTML 1.0 = “div + id” mess but looks cool in every browser
    HTML 5 = clean and neat yet depends on .JS

I am using HYBRID of sort
    best techniques and clean coding, nesting, quoting values, I learnt from XHTML in combination with and neat short versions of script, style, meta avoiding for now new elements like header, footer, nav, article, section,

created projects in HTML5 and simply love it
    but sad truth to be told, if .JS is turned off, layout is killed (some parts)

TT_Mark

I use the HTML5 DocType. To be honest, if you aren’t using it then you’re not paying attention to anything anyone is saying, because there is no reason not to use it!

I also use the shorter versions of script style and meta and currently in the process of re-writing my company’s CMS to handle HTML5 form elements.

I also use full HTML sections, headers etc depending on the client. Personally I feel that if you don’t have JavaScript enabled you cannot expect to get the full experience of the web and so an accessible, but predominantly unstyled, fallback is used

Brightonmike

HTML5 can work fine in any browser. This is a site I’ve built: http://www.ver2vodka.com/vg/

And it uses HTML5. It only breaks in IE6, which isn’t a big deal as only like 0.5% of our traffic use IE6.

TT_Mark

@Brightonmike It only works ‘fine’ when you have JavaScript enabled though, because otherwise the older browsers do not know how to handle the HTML5 elements

Brightonmike

But why would anyone turn their javascript off lol? I don’t know of anybody turning it off. Your website will probably break anyway if they do.

Let’s make it clear, three years ago 95% of all web users had Javascript enabled. That was THREE years ago.

Brightonmike

krysak4ever 9:44AM Permalink Flag
    trust me
    there is still lot of dumb or simply non IT educated people :]

That’s beside the point. As I stated, in 2008, 95% of web users have Javascript enabled. Today, that figure is more likely to be 98/99%.

So in other words, you are not using HTML5 elements, because you want that 1/2% who don’t use Javascript to be able to use your website on an older browser.

I’d rather support the majority than a very, very tiny minority myself – but each to their own….

jamygolden

@krysak4ever That’s mostly what I do when I care about usability =D

I don’t really care about people who have javascript disabled though. If they have it disabled they should know how to navigate via broken pages. I don’t know how un-educated people would find that option. I do know the older IE’s ask if you want to enable it when you open a page – So I guess that could be a problem.

I resort to <div id=”header”></div> when I’m making a “serious” site, such as an ecommerce site or something. If it’s a random blog, I don’t feel the need to use divs.

TT_Mark

JavaScript is likely to be disabled on computers where user’s have disabilities. People also disable JavaScript on all websites and then enable it for those they trust. Unfortunately this harks back to the days when malicious JavaScript did things to people’s computers. It’s sad that we still haven’t got past these days however it is something that most people have to live with

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.