Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS wrong display caused by wrong targeting?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    eaks

Hi everyone, lately, I’ve been learning how to code my website from scratch, all by myself, with the use of various tutorials available. Before I knew anything, I chose to do so in dreamweaver (I know I know!). Now here’s my problem:

Once uploaded, my website doesnt display properly. It looks like images and css files are not being targeted properly. From what I can interpret, I think this is due to links not being adequate for the web. I’ve built my website linking local hard drive. Now I guess I should change my targeting scheme but I’m unsure how to do it properly. What I’ve tried so far isnt working.

Can you please help me dear experts?

here’s my website: http://www.architextures.tv

and here’s the guilty part of the coding ( I think):

Check out this Pen!

As you can see, I’m using 3 .js files with their .css + my own .css.

I’ve also pasted a little more so you can see how my images are linked as well as the links between my pages. Those latter work fine.

The architextures_web is a folder on my HD and it seems to be replaced by a / named folder on my ipage root.

Lastly, I wonder if I should put my spryassets, clearbox and css in a sub folder instead of leaving them on the same level as my image folder and html webpage files.

I hope I’m being as clear and concise as possible. Can you please help me?

Alen
    Participant

If you uploaded your website structure as is just remove `file:` from all the resource links.

And there’s nothing wrong with using Dreamwaver.

eaks

thank you so much! I suspected part of my problem was the file targeting scheme but all my attempts were vain.

Now the main part is working. thank you very much!

The dreamweaver preview is not working anymore but I guess it’s a small inconvenient since I can preview it online…

However, it seems that my image links for background in the css file are not working.

here’s a typical link in my css: background-image: url(images/architextures_logo_III_backb.jpg)

I tried a few things without success. Can you please help me with this as well.

About dreamweaver, being a neophyte in web design, I learned with it and appreciate it but I noticed everyone seems to be bashing it. Probably I shouldnt let that influence me!

So, I’m not a web designer but rather a composer and studio engineer. If anyone helping needs help with music, please PM me : )

thanks again for your help!

eaks

I’ve been reading one cant link background images in css but I also followed tutorials that showed me how to do it. And it works when I test my site locally…

Can anyone shed light on this matter please?

as mentioned, here’s the way I link to my images in the css document:

background-image: url(images/architextures_logo_III_backb.jpg)

what is wrong with that?

thanks for your help : )

eaks

would that help if I give you all my css coding?

btw can anyone point me to a reference about the proper way to insert codes in the forum? (ie: black background with scrollable lookup) edit: I see some displayed but I dont know why some will and some wont…

tx!

**MOD EDIT: CSS transferred to Codepen **

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/zLaKd

Paulie_D

You might try a slight amendment to the link(s)

background-image: url(../images/architextures_logo_III_backb.jpg)

eaks

thats the curious thing because I tried that before without success. But then after reading your message I retried, and only 1 element showed, but not the others. Then, while looking for other options, I decided to refresh the page again 5 minutes later, and everything showed!

Since I thought updates were always fairly immediate after a refresh, I kept thinking adding ../ was not doing it…

Is it a common behavior when we update a css file?

In any case, thank you! thanks a lot!

Paulie_D

>Is it a common behavior when we update a css file?

No but it might just be a browser or server caching issue.

eaks

I’ll bear that in mind!

thanks again : )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.