Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WP query?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    almcrorie
    Participant

in WP, when I create content in a post –

1) can I use the content from the post and display some information from it on the index.php page and some other information from the same content on a single.php page?

I want to create a business directory theme and on the home page, show thumbnail pictures for each business, which when you click on one will take you to either the business’ homepage or to a page that will display important information about the business along with a Google map showing where the business is (if the business does not have a web site).

2) can I display an unlimited number of posts (i.e. thumbnail pictures) on the page?

On the home page, the business’ would be sorted in alphabetical order within categories (A-D, E-H, etc) and would be shown on the homepage within these groups. Since I don’t know how many businesses would be shown on the homepage, can I overcome the posts per page limit specified in the dashboard?

All of this is easier to do in HTML/CSS but I woud like to know if you can do something like this using WP.

Al

TheDoc

All sounds totally doable to me!

almcrorie
    Participant

need a few more details- I assume that I could execute the loop for each category (A-D, E-H, etc) for the total number of posts in any category, and to show different content for different pages (index.php vs single.php), I could use display:none; on elements depending on the page being displayed. is this correct thinking or am I way off base??

Al

TheDoc

A little off.

The single.php template should be set up to show one post. The loop will take care of that for you.

On the home page you’ll set up a few loops, each one looping through a specific category.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.