Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WP – How to add a script to a specific page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@taxicss I know that but where in the page is it showing up.

View source and tell me if it’s in the footer or between <head>...</head>

taxicss
    Participant

@chrisburton Sorry, yes it’s between the <head>…</head>

chrisburton
    Participant

@taxicss

https://gist.github.com/christopherburton/6d0b02d13ce811690683

All you need to do is edit line 16 and replace $templateName with the name of the template (e.g. is_page_template('single-something.php')).

On line 17 change the path to where the file is.

Original

<?php if(is_page_template($templateName)): ?>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_url'); ?>/pathto/yourscript.js"></script>
    <?php endif; ?>

Updated (example)

<?php if(is_page_template($templateName)): ?>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_url'); ?>/js/googlemaps.js"></script>
    <?php endif; ?>

taxicss
    Participant

@chrisburton Thank you for your time and knowledge. Appreciate it so much. Surely I’ll be back asking again as I’m new and learning and I’m trying to start with the best practices. Thanks.

chrisburton
    Participant

The WordPress docs site is actually one of the few that explain things quite well. Check them out.

Senff
    Participant

Most of it is right, but this is the <strike>wrong</strike> easy way of adding scripts. The WordPress way is to actually do it in a plugin or in functions.php using the wp_register / wp_enqueue function.

But, since @chrisburton helped you to get things working (and “don’t fix it when it ain’t broke), I won’t go into it into too much detail. ;)

Just for future reference though, this would be the “proper” way:

function load_google_script() {
        wp_enqueue_script( 'someName', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/googlemaps.js', array(), '1.0.0', true );

if(is_page_template($templateName)) {
            wp_enqueue_script( 'someName' );
        }

}
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'load_google_script' );

chrisburton
    Participant

Just for future reference though, this would be the “proper” way: – @Senff

If that is the proper way then, by all means, I would go with that. It’s been a long time since I’ve used WordPress so forgive me!

Senff
    Participant

Well, it’s the “proper” way, but it’s also a lot more complex than just writing a script src=. So yeah, on one hand I would definitely suggest to use the right way, but sometimes it’s just one script, in a very custom site, and it doesn’t matter that much. It depends. :)

Also, I didn’t really look into the details of the template name and conditional statement, so it probably has to be added to the function.

OK now I feel like I may have overcomplicated things way too much already!

chrisburton
    Participant

OK now I feel like I may have overcomplicated things way too much already! – @Senff

I disagree. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

With regards to WordPress, the way I see it is if you’re going to use this as a CMS, you’re better off doing things the right way or things can get complicated more than it already is (structurally). This generally holds true for all development and programming especially when there’s a strong possibility that you will end up educating others.

taxicss
    Participant

@Senff Your code goes into the functions.php, is it correct?

Edit: Sorry I miss the line. Yes it should either be a plugin or functions.php

Thanks.

taxicss
    Participant

@Senff Your code doesn’t seem to work but if I remove the conditional if(is_page_template…), it works. This is my final code

// add google maps
      function load_google_script() {
        wp_register_script( 'googleapi', "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?v=3.exp&sensor=false");
        wp_register_script( 'googlemaps', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/googlemaps.js', array(), '1.0.0', true );

if(is_page_template('single-branches.php')) {
            wp_enqueue_script( 'googleapi' );
            wp_enqueue_script( 'googlemaps' );
        }
      }
      add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'load_google_script' );
    Senff
    Participant

In a default WordPress install, jQuery is already called from its own library. The code above removes that and calls it from the Google CDN.

Keep in mind that whatever you add in functions.php, will be only for that specific theme. For better portability (and even more complexity….), put it in a plugin.

EDIT: sorry, this was a reply to a post that I thought was recent, but it wasn’t. It applied to the last post of page 1. Sorry!

taxicss
    Participant

@Senff What exactly am I missing with my code because it’s not really working. As I said it only works if I enqueue it outside the if(‘…’). Thanks

Senff
    Participant

Hmmmyea I’ve been trying it and I can’t seem to be able to get the template name within functions.php. Not sure why, maybe I’m overlooking something simple. Have to look a little more into it…..

chrisburton
    Participant

You wouldn’t need an if statement. is_page_template(templateName) will only load the maps script if it matches.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.