Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Worst Design by client… EVER!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jatinh

So, i got this new client who wants a website in WordPress.
    I spent hours working on a design i feel is really nice, and the client feels is too simple.
    Now, the client is adamant i use his own design. Which I found horrible!
    Would like to know if other designers here agree with my view of the designs.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67483295@N05/sets/72157627663827722/
    Logos are just placeholder dummies.

Edit: Red ones are my designs and the last one is the client-provided design.
    Edit2: No offence intended to anyone.
    Edit3: Its a design for a NGO that tries to help people with cancer.

stian

Just to get this straight, are those your or his designs?

TheDoc

While I think both could use some work, I prefer the first batch (red theme).

jatinh

Red ones are mine. The last image is his theme. Apologize for forgetting this detail.

Johnnyb

While I’m not crazy about your client’s proposed design, I do agree with them that your designs are too simple. The home page needs a lot of work, try adding some photos/images to give it something other than just text. I’d also work on the headers/typography on each interior page. The designs you provided don’t seem to be polished, I think it’s a mistake to send designs in this condition to a client, I’d send either wireframes or a more polished mock-up.

jatinh

Well, it’s a NGO that helps people with cancer. So, I thought I should keep it simple.

@Johnnyb
    thanks for your opinion. It is actually not polished. Will remember to give clients only polished designs in future. Also, I do agree that my typography skills aren’t the strongest.
    I’m glad I posted in this forum. Helped me realize my shortcomings as a designer. More feedback would be welcome.
    P.S. – Any good suggestion for a book on typography? Would prefer some recent book that has a lot of examples.

chrisburton
    Participant

Try a slab serif for the headings and use a light sans serif on the nav. Deming is a great font and it’s free. Browse the fonts on Lost Type and see what suits you.

jatinh

@Christopher. Thanks. Will try out your suggestions and will try to polish this design and make it a WordPress theme, just for my own satisfaction.

@Paulie_D
    .. I tried talking to the client and have him explain what he d like. But, after a long discussion, he could not decide and asked me to mockup what comes to my mind. The only thing he could decide upon was the content and the layout, which is a little similar in both cases. The client did not even provide me a logo or a color scheme, despite me asking for it a hundred times. Said, ‘provide a few color schemes with the WordPress theme.’
    I tried to tell him the same thing that you are saying! :(

chrisburton
    Participant

Neither of these reflect any thought when “designing”. Respectively I disagree with @TT_Mark. The readability on the clients design is much more horrific compared to yours which is why I think some leaned towards this decision. I think Johnny has the right course of action. Send your clients wireframes with no color. This way it limits their complaints if they have any. Work on updating yourself on typography, it makes all the difference.

@ChristopherBurton Just wanted to quickly clarify one thing: Lost Type fonts are free is you choose to pay zero for them, I wouldn’t advertise them as a ‘free font’.

jatinh

@TT_Mark. I see your view. Maybe trying to go for a really clean and simple design wasn’t the best choice in this case.
    @ChristopherBurton. Appreciate the feedback. I am going to keep in mind Johnny’s suggestions.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joshuanhibbert – Fortunately enough they are. I help advertise them in my work and as you see above, I suggest them as well. I don’t think this discussion is about what I choose to donate or not. If that is all you have to contribute to this discussion, I would certainly not waste your time.

Brightonmike

The clients design is badly executed, but the actual idea is, frankly, better. It’s more visual, more stimulating. Your designs are pretty bland, there’s nothing about them that stimulate interest.

@ChristopherBurton Fair enough, I probably deserved that call out.

jatinh

@brightonmike. Thanks for your critique.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.