Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress – Twenty-Seventeen Theme Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jerryr125
    Participant

Hi – question on WordPress – Twenty-Seven Theme.
    I am looking to make the blog full width.
    Right now – the post title appears on the left and the post content appears right.
    Anyone out there with some information about this ?
    thanks – jerryr

iizag
    Participant

I just looked at the preview and I do not understand what you mean by full width? The theme itself by default is full width already. Do you have a picture or link I can see that shows the way you describe the post and how you want to make it ?

Atelierbram
    Participant

A few questions before we start answering your questions:

• why WordPress?
    • why this theme?
    • what have you learned so far on HTML/CSS/javaScript
    • do you even want to learn webdesign, or is this just something for you to try out?
    • if yes, what is your aim in general, in regards to webdesign, (where do want to be in a few years)?
    • do you want to learn (so called) “responsive” webdesign?
    jerryr125
    Participant

Hi – Basically I am showing some students some basic wordpress stuff. Nothing major – starting with the twenty-seventeen theme.

If you look – the title blog appear on the left and articles appear on the right. I wanted to remove the ‘blog’ title and let the articles use the full width of the page.

http://jerryr.jrcustomization.com

thoughts ? jerryr

Atelierbram
    Participant

If you look – the title blog appear on the left and articles appear on the right

Can’t see this from the link you provided, but you mean on the “blog” blogroll-page? In that case you should be able to switch templates for that page from the dashboard:

On pages, Twenty Seventeen allows you to pick between a one and two column layout. This can be changed via Customizer > Theme Options. The theme defaults to the two-column layout, which displays the page title in one column, and the page content in the other.

resource: https://codex.wordpress.org/Twenty_Seventeen

jerryr125
    Participant

HI – I tried that – with the blog it does not work. The other pages on the site it is fine – but not with the blog.
    I put the blog on a separate page

jerryr125
    Participant

I also added the setting one column for the page – no luck :(

Atelierbram
    Participant

From the documentation:

When the one-column layout is selected, both the page title and content display in a wider single column, centered on the page.

Don’t know exactly what this would mean for the layout, but as far as I can see, only on this blog page the blog class is set on the body-element (with this template, how it is now). Because the articles are still floating to the right, what can be done is, on line nr. 3763 of style.css in the following code block:

/* .blog:not(.has-sidebar) #primary article, */
    .archive:not(.page-one-column):not(.has-sidebar) #primary article,
    .search:not(.has-sidebar) #primary article,
    .error404:not(.has-sidebar) #primary .page-content,
    .error404.has-sidebar #primary .page-content,
    body.page-two-column:not(.archive) #primary .entry-content,
    body.page-two-column #comments {
      float: right;
      width: 58%;
    }

To “out-comment” that first line /* .blog:not(.has-sidebar) #primary article,*/ like that, in that way the articles will no longer float to the right, and will default back to 100% width or “full-width” if you will.

jerryr125
    Participant

thank you – seemed to have done the trick !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.