Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress, the future, and you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bob_dobalino

Hi,

This is focused towards those who make a living or at least generate an income from selling custom WP websites to clients.

I am quite new to producing custom themes in WordPress and really like the look of WordPress as a CMS having read a few books on it and produced a few of my own custom themes for clients.

I work for a small agency and have started using wordpress for client sites. It seem much better/flexible/easy-to-work-with than the other CMS that we use here but the more I do the more I get concerned about future support.

I mean, these free and awesome plugins that are updated regularly, what happens if the developer just stops and the latest version of WordPress ‘breaks’ the ‘old’ version of the plugin. Does that mean my clients site will just stop working one day?

I would love to know how others who generate income from providing clients with a CMS (and using WP) deal with this prospect.

What I am also interested in is how people deal with updating WP to the latest version for clients, or whether they let the client hit the ‘update WP now’ button. Do you add it into the service agreement and check every few weeks if anything neeeds updating or something else?

Not sure if this is the best place to ask the question, but would be really interested to here people’s views

Thanks

hugogmg

Hello Bob,

I am using WordPress for some years now and make my own thems as you tell us.

Here are some lines I think about what you said:

1.- “What happens if the developer just stops and the latest version of WordPress ‘breaks’ the ‘old’ version of the plugin.”

Until you update the WordPress core nothing will happen because the files are at your server. So your site will be working just fine.

2.- “I would love to know how others who generate income from providing clients with a CMS (and using WP) deal with this prospect.”

In my case I charge the whole project (development of the content, graphic design,markup the theme, integrating WP with the theme, etc) and then, in time, when un update is needed i charge the changes by the hour. Most of this changes are small stuff.

3.- “What I am also interested in is how people deal with updating WP to the latest version for clients, or whether they let the client hit the ‘update WP now’ button. Do you add it into the service agreement and check every few weeks if anything neeeds updating or something else?”

I try not to let the client hit the update button. Because you should always make a backup of files and database. The client won’t do this. As you said before there may be a plugin that doesn’t work with a new version of WP. So here the site breaks and you have to use the backup to restore the site. If this is the case you could search for a similar plugin that does the same thing.

Speaking of the the service agreement. I don’t add it but once a month I check if a new version is availabe and then I contact my clients to let them know we should do an update. Doing this you also maintain the relationship with your client.

I hope this will be useful.
    Bests,
    Hugo.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.