Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress: show title of the term (custom taxonomy) inside the custom post type

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mattiafrigeri
    Participant

Hi all,

I created a custom post type “Products”, and created also categories for that custom post type (so using custom taxonomies). These categories are 5: “Products” (main), and its children, “first”, “second”, “thirth”, “fourth” (their template is managed by “archive.php”).

When I am in the page of the single category (which shows the list of all the posts of that category), for instance “second”, everything is ok: I can show the category title with this code:

$term = get_term_by( 'slug', get_query_var( 'term' ), get_query_var( 'taxonomy' ) );
    echo $term->name;

But when I am in the single page of a post of that category (managed by the template “single-products.php”), for instance “Prodotto 1” of the “second” category, the code doesn’t work. I need to show somewhere in this page that “Product 1” is in the category “second”.

Thanks a lot!

Senff
    Participant

What if a product is attached to more than one category?

Either way, try this perhaps:

$custom_taxonomy = get_the_terms(0, 'category');
    if ($custom_taxonomy) {
        foreach ($custom_taxonomy as $custom_tax) {
            echo $custom_tax->slug;
        }
    }

Replace ‘category’ (in the first line) with the actual name of your custom taxonomy.

mattiafrigeri
    Participant

Hi Senff,

fortunately a product cannot be in 2 places…
    Anyway, like the code I used before, this outputs nothing ;((((

It’s like, when inside the single product, every info about his subcategory is lost… I cannot figure why!

Tomasz Lisiecki
    Participant

Hello :)

There you go

$name = wp_get_post_terms(get_queried_object()->ID,'projects',array("fields" => "names"));
    echo $name[0];

Note:

wp_get_post_terms returns an array of all assigned categories to that post, hence $name[0]. It is also future proof, so if you want to display all categories of the post at some point, you can just loop through $name variable.

Hope it helps ;)

mattiafrigeri
    Participant

Thanks Tomasz,

I think I should replace “projects” (your code) with “products”?

Anyway, it throws an error, because after that piece of code the rest of the site disppears, and the code outputs nothing…

;(

mattiafrigeri
    Participant

There must be something wrong in the “echo…” line, because removing that, the page doesn’t break, although it outputs nothing…

Tomasz Lisiecki
    Participant

I think I should replace “projects” (your code) with “products”?

Yes, you should. Sorry.

What is your PHP version?

The get_queried_object()->ID may not work if it’s old, as older PHP versions didn’t support accessing objects data like that. I think it is supported since 5.4=<

Anyway. All you need to do is pass a post ID as a first parameter. Your own choice how you do it :) This was my way.

mattiafrigeri
    Participant

Hi Tomasz, I am using MAMP and PHP 5.4.1!
    I’ll give other tries, then, thanks a lot for your help anyway!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.