Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS WordPress Search??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

I’ve heard from quite a few people that the WordPress search really isn’t all that good and I’ve more and more people moving to the Google Custom Search and I wanted to unpack that a little bit.

Isn’t the search function in WordPress just another loop that queries whatever you ask it to pull? I’m just wondering if there are some limitations that are not mentioned beyond that? I’m working on 2 sites right now now where I’m toying with the Search.php, and honestly these are the first times I’ve really done more heavy looping (which by the way has been mind-blowing learning how cool the flexibility is), but back to the point, I was toying with using the Search.php by having it grab which pages saw those keywords and then looping it into a set of posts that just gave you an excerpt and a link to that page.

Is that kind of a dumb way to do it, or is it inefficient? Or is it just limited and I haven’t yet experienced the “whys”?

jamygolden

I’ve only had a problem with the WordPress search when I’ve had lots and lots of possible results. WordPress doesn’t seem to find what people are looking for as well as google manages to (It is Google’s job).

According to my experience, WordPress search is fine for smaller sites.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.