Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design WordPress Plugin for Fonts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jerryr125
    Participant

HI – I am looking for a wordpress plugin that works in the wordpress twenty-seven theme.
    I simply want an easy way to change fonts and colors

I tried this :
    Easy Google Fonts

But does not work – any recommendations ??

Atelierbram
    Participant

What is easy enough in my mind is to edit the header.php and the style.css files of your theme (one really shouldn’t need to use a plugin for basic HTML/CSS editing).

Suppose you want to use “Source Sans Pro” in two weights, both in the regular and italic version. You can basically follow the instructions on the Google webfont site.

So in header.php somewhere within the <head></head> tags you include the link to the stylesheet like so:

<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Source+Sans+Pro:400,400i,600,600i" rel="stylesheet">

<?php wp_head(); ?>
    </head>

And within your style.css you can put it on elements like:

body { 
      font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', Verdana, sans-serif;
    }
    b,strong,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {
      font-weight: 600;
    }
    i,em,.italic {
      font-style: italic;
    }

PearlFleetwood
    Participant

There are a ton of options out there for font replacement, including various great WordPress plugins that make font substitute easier than ever. All of the plugins included are compatible up to WP 3.1.4, and most are compatible up to 3.2.1.

FONTIFIC
    WP-CUFĂ“N
    TYPEKIT FONTS FOR WORDPRESS
    FONTDECK
    WP WEB FONTS
    WP GOOGLE FONTS
    ANYFONT

Webfont performance is sure to grow in the immediate future, due to the options it opens up for designers, and there are sure to be more font replacement plugins available in the coming months and years.

jerryr125
    Participant

excellent information – thank you !

iizag
    Participant

I recommend you do not use a plugin and instead load the fonts yourself if it is a custom font you want or connect to google fonts through the header like Atelierbram said. By using a plugin you will be stuck with that plugin so you will limit yourself since it will be a ton of work to fix the site if the plugin gets deactivated or if you want to switch plugins because it perhaps is a security risk one day, or if the plugin is not compatible with another random plugin or with a certain browser. You will be forced to restyle your site. Plus when you use a plugin, the plugin might consist of a ton of files which will slow down your site.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.