Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress on Yahoo! = @#$%R#$%! (Or How to Get WP on the Root Directory?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SaraMarie

Ugh, hello, I really need help and am running all over the ‘Net looking for an answer! These people I’m doing a site for… they are on Yahoo! Small Business, and it’s a nightmare worse than GoDaddy! There is no access to databases, so a manual install is out of the question. The installer tool won’t allow installs on the root directory. So I’ve tried all manner of moving, reinstalling, changing the settings, etc. to no avail (and nuked a whole lot of hard work in the process). I just sent Yahoo! an e-mail asking them what’s the way to do this, but I don’t expect a useful answer right away (I’ll go through three or four e-mails usually before a tech support ever tells me anything useful).

Anyway, this blog is now installed on a subdirectory, but visitors need to access it from the domain. There are other things in the root folder people will still need access to, so I can’t forward everything to the subdirectory. Moving WP causes headaches with permalinks I can’t seem to figure out. The same goes for just changing the home page in the WP settings. In this second case, the site is still on the subdirectory but won’t use the subdirectory for any permalinks (so it’s trying to access things from the root that just aren’t there).

Sorry to write a novel here. Please help?

clokey2k
    Participant

http://askwpgirl.com/how-do-i-move-wordpress-from-a-subdirectory-to-the-root-directory/

This topic has come up a few times in the past. This is the best set of instructions I have seen.

SaraMarie

Yes, but have you actually tried those directions yet? I did, and they’re not working for me. Thanks, though.

Edit: I just tried it again to make sure I didn’t goof it up (I saw that page very late last night). Nope, doesn’t work. But it could be that Yahoo! just sucks. Why does it have to be so backwards? They must really be the last major host on the Internet that’s not fully compatible with WP.

SaraMarie

Hey, I decided to try that site’s instructions out on my own server (lucky I had a spare domain to play with). Guess what? Yahoo’s worthlessness has just been confirmed (I know, you’re saying “just?”). This totally worked on my own hosting account.

clokey2k
    Participant

I had used similar instructions a few years ago, the link was the easiest page to read.

Just ensure that you have changed the ‘WordPress URL’s’ on the settings page, the path to wordpress in the ‘index.php’ and updated the permalink structure.

Look into setting up a .htaccess to redirect any query for non existant file in the root to the wordpress directory.

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . wordpressdir/index.php [L]

Something like that?

SaraMarie

Oh man, after two whole days, the tech support got back to me and said they absolutely don’t support putting WordPress on the root directory, and that they’ll “pass the concept onto their development team.” What the…

Clokey, Yahoo! won’t let me use .htaccess. At this point, I’m better off with advice on how to tell the client they need a different host. It would be so easy for them to move, and they wouldn’t get ripped off so bad. But I know they’re gonna be scared to do it. I’m just sick of these hosts people sign up for. Yahoo! and GoDaddy are making me want to throw my computer out the window. /endrant

Thanks so much to the people who tried to help. It’s not your fault it didn’t work out.

TheDoc

I would definitely tell the client that they need a new host. You can get reliable hosting for less than $10/month with access to everything, silly Yahoo.

SaraMarie

Yeah, a week ago I got a cryptic remark about it to, something like, “Oh, you said you’d do it on WordPress? Well that’s okay if it works with our current host.” Doh!

I’m telling them to go to Site5 for $10/mo. Jeez. It would be nice if I could just scream all over the web, “Stop using Yahoo! and GoDaddy for hosting! Just don’t do it!” *ugh* There’s no reason for Yahoo! to be so chintzy.

I have used yahoo! for 5 or 6 years to host my website. For static websites they are great. But now I bouth the book diggin into wordpress and I got stuck on chapter 2. I could not get access to .htaccess. Yahoo! Defenitly makes it easier for us because of the emails, but the fact that is not being organic with wordpress is making me move my hosting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.