Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other wordpress import post thumbnails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    billseymour
    Participant

I posted this at the WordPress.org forum, but wanted to also post here to see if anyone here might have some ideas.
    I have searched both the Forum and Google, and I have not found an answer to this question:

Important point: I am trying to export from a Localhost (XAMPP) development WP site, to a WP installed on one of my domains on the net. (I originally forgot to mention this in my post- sorry.)

How can I export posts WITH their thumbnails (featured images) from one WP installation, and then import the posts WITH their thumbnails into a new WP installation.

I can successfully use Tools>Export/Import to export/import posts, comments, categories, tags. But nowhere do I see how to handle the export/import of the thumbnails (featured images).

Is it actually necessary to separately upload all of the thumbnails to the new WP installation, and then individually re-connect them to their posts via post-by-post, edit>add-featured-image?

I wonder how folks who must migrate a large WP blog from one host to another handle this problem. Thanks for any thoughts. –Bill

billseymour
    Participant

I believe I have answered my own question (isn’t that just the way it goes?)

I now understand, and have tested successfully, the following:
    – Localhost: Tools>Export everything into an XML file
    – Edit the XML file, Search/Replacing the Localhost part of the attachment_URL with my real site’s URL
    – Upload (FTP) the images/folders from Localhost wp-contents/uploads to the site’s wp-contents/uploads
    – In site’s WP admin, Tools>Import of the modified XML file (checking box to include attachments)

I now have the thumbnails/featured_images, properly appearing with their posts/pages.

Anyway, I now have much more confidence about putting in development time on a Localhost WP site, knowing that I can get the darned thing uploaded to it’s ultimate destination.
    –Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.