Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS WordPress .htaccess file issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    grant.smith

Hi,

With the amazing help available in the three videos posted on ccs-tricks I have been trying to make my own WordPress theme. It’s not going to badly but I am having error’s with pages not appearing, after a lot of research this would seem to be due to permalinks not being set properly.

This lead me to the .htaccess file, and it not being readable by WordPress. In fact I didn’t have one at all, so I made one and put it next the index.php in the wp-content folder. I have also pasted the following into the file and set the permissions to 644 as suggested in WordPress forums;

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

However, after all this I still have the error of "If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all." This is after changing my permalinks to custom, /%postname%/, I also tried changing back to default, save changes, and then back to custom, and still no joy.

This has obviously stopped my progress dead as I can’t really do anything if I can’t see my pages, any help would be amazing at this point.

Thanks in advance, Grant

grant.smith

Right, sorry about this, but I have managed to resolve the issue, I moved the .htaccess file to the parent directory, just to see if it would work, and it did! Sorry again, glad I created a account though, I’m sure I will future questions, this may be useful to someone?

apostrophe
    Participant

I’m not all together sure I followed all of that but I do know that your .htaccess file should be in your root folder not the wp-content folder.

EDIT. Too late :D

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.