Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other [WordPress] Freelance Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jlau

Hi guys,

I’ve recently started freelancing and I’ve done a few sites, all powered by wordpress and coded by myself. And i’m talking with a client now about doing a website similar to: http://mydestination.com/algarve

I’ve done a few sites before, but when I looked at this site, i was pretty taken aback by the scale of this kind of site and I wanted to ask the advice of some more experienced web designers. First of all:

Can this kind of site be built in WordPress?
    What kind of price would you charge for this website?
    If you had to build this kind of website, how would you do it?

Having a look at the site, I think the informational side of it, doesn’t look to be too difficult and could be easily done with some custom taxonomies or just using pages in WordPress. However the thing that looks a little daunting is the hotel comparison, which seems to take data from all the biggest comparison sites for hotels and organises that information for the user.

Lastly I haven’t had extensive experience in creating a user system. I think it wouldn’t be too hard to allow users to register and comment on the site, but obviously with this kind of site, I think it wouldn’t be good to have them login on the back-end of WordPress.

Anyway, if you’ve taken the time to read this far, thank you!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Jeff

TheDoc

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head for the most part.

The hotel stuff in the sidebar is going to get a little tricky. Will probably have to be a custom plugin or a separate 3rd party service. I’d do research into that.

Seems like it would be a very large project, though. Maybe not something that you’d want to tackle on your own. You could find somebody that specializes in whatever you need help with, that way you can perfect the UI/Design or other elements.

That’s how I’d go about it at least.

joshbedo

Yes this site is completely possible with WordPress. For the sidebar you could find a plugin or use a 3rd party service like posted above or with some experience even build your own. If you really think about it though it isn’t as hard as it seems. Each house would be a post which would have multiple categories like – single-family,50,000-100,000,2 bathroom you could also include custom fields where the user would put in a description and how much land the property has and what year it was built. You would also have to create custom post pages one for the individual property with details and create a search page to search a custom post type. As for charge I’ve seen people on freelance sites ask about $500 – $1200 for a real estate website but the price depends on added on stuff they need custom like having to create the design from scratch or if they want a sales tax widget coded.

jlau

@joshbedo This is a hotel booking site!

@all The other thing I was worried about was the travel planner. If you haven’t seen it, in the bottom right there’s a little pop up where you can sign in, save favourites and plan your trip. I’m not sure at all if this would be possible in wordpress. I’d have to be able to save favourites from my pages and get that to update a user-specific planner that also uses cookies/sessions. Gosh just thinking about it is making my head hurt! Damnit so much to learn…

joshbedo

same difference haha I gave it a quick look and looked like a real estate website.

joshbedo

and for the travel planner you could possibly use Wise Agent or another 3rd party service.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.