Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End (WordPress) Display Pages As Unordered List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    realph
    Participant

Hey there,

I’m trying to get WordPress to display an unordered list of pages in one of my templates. I’m trying to achieve something like this.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TheDoc

Since I don’t think the_excerpt is going to give you exactly what you want, I would create a custom field called ‘description’. What the code below does is check to see if that field has been filled in, if it has it will display it.

The query at the top of the page makes sure that it is only looping through pages. If you want it to loop through specific sections you’ll need to dig a little deeper into the query.

$description= get_post_meta($post->ID, 'description', true);

if ($url) {
    echo "

$description

";
    }
    ?>

">Link to page
    realph
    Participant

@TheDoc, that’s perfect, it’s worked a treat.

global $wp_query;
    $postid = $wp_query->post->ID;
    echo get_post_meta($postid, 'description', true);
    ?>

">Link to page

Any idea on how I’d call sub-pages, for example, if I only wanted to show pages that are children of a parent page called “Culture”?

TheDoc

No problemo. Just change the ’11’ in the example below to the Culture’s page id:

realph
    Participant

Perfect dude!!! You’re the man! One last thing, I’m trying to use box resizing to automatically resize my post thumbnails, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m putting this in my functions.php file.

set_post_thumbnail_size( 225, 159 );
    TheDoc

I always like being a little more specific with my post thumbnails:

// post thumbnail support
    if ( function_exists( 'add_image_size' ) ) add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );

if ( function_exists( 'add_image_size' ) ) {
    add_image_size( 'culture-page-listing', 225, 159, true ); // Culture Child Page Listing
    add_image_size( 'other-size', 130, 130, true ); // Other use
    }

Then in your template:

The ‘true’ means it will hard crop the image to make sure it fits your dimensions exactly. I prefer it as it ensures all of the images will be similar.

You might need to regenerate your thumbnails. There is a plugin to do this (so you don’t have to re-upload all of your images).

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

realph
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, that’s a much better way! Thanks again!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.