Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress: Different Homepage style

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gondoli

http://www.emergeprosthetics.com/new_emerge/

I have begun to create a WordPress site that will allow for dynamic content such blogging and general CMS stuff. I’m very new to websites in general. I created a sub directory to test and build my site before I go live so to speak.
    I’m trying to work out some of the layout problems at this point and dynamically recreate what I did in a plain basic html document. I’ve searched on the Codex among other resources and bought Chris’s book which made my head hurt reading thu it. So much info…which is a good thing, but I haven’t been able to find a solution to this problem.

The following html document illustrates what I want my home page to look like. No sidebar is present;
    http://www.emergeprosthetics.com/test/

This layout represents the basic structure of what every page from then on will look like with the sidebar, posts comments, etc.;
    http://www.emergeprosthetics.com/test/main.html

If you look at the html you’ll obviously notice that there are two different wraps that create the different themes for each.

I tried going to Pages >Home> Attributes> Selected Main Page and created a homepage.php…but I’m kinda stuck on how to go about it really. If someone could please help provide a little guidance? I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!!

TheDoc

* Moved to CMS Section

Your index page will automatically use your template called "index.php", and your individual pages will automatically use the "page.php", your posts will automatically use "post.php", etc etc.

It’s tough to say exactly without looking at your templates. But you have an index.html, so you just need to make that into index.php and put wonderful wordpressy things into it.

Here’s more on template hierarchy:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

craigfarrall

Ok, what you have to do is…

Split your design into sections, so add all the header information in header.php which will appear on the top of every page, such as:

Code:

Then everything you want to add to the homepage put in the index.php file, something like:

Code:
    home image

Welcome to Emerge Prosthetics!

EMERGE is a prosthetic Company specializing in empowering the lives of amputees by way of creating lifelike silicone prosthetics. By
    forging a memorable and collaborative experience, our fervent hope is that we will meet and exceed expectations.

We hope this website will prove to be an invaluable resource to those interested in seeking prosthetic rehabilitation. Please take advantage of the information provided on our website!

Better Solutions for your rehabilitation

We strive to provide the best service and product possible. Learn what makes our company special and how we can better serve your needs. Something here to fill the space and push the link more towrds the bottom of the page…there…nice!!

Read more about the features we have to offer…

Find out what’s going on in the industry

We understand that finding pertinent information can be difficult. We do our best to provide up-to-date information on events and innovations in the prosthetic industry. Let us keep you informed on all the latest and greatest in the field.

Learn more about what’s happening in your world…

Become part of the bigger picture & join the discussion

Tell us what you think! It’s your opinion that matters. We want your voice to be heard and let us know what affects your everyday life. Gotta fill more in here as well because the link also needs to be pushed down and I will think of better text later.

Join and interact with others and learn stuff…

How do I best utilize the information on this site?

Paul Rothchild, of Emerge Prosthetic Arts is committed to providing fresh and insiteful information and topics for amputees, prosthetists & Othotists, Physical Therapists, etc. He wants to make a diffrence and needs more text here to fill it in so I will change it later.

With everyone’s involvement a change can be made for the better. So with even more text we can change later is really important now because I really don’t know whta to write becasue writing is hard and I should probably write stuff here that will help my search-a-bility.

Find out more about Emerge and stuff so here’s a link…

Emerge video

Then lastly in the footer.php add the bottom bit of the website, like so:

Code:

Now even with that simple bit of work (You might need to re-point some of your images as they are in different directories now) you have the website working.

Now you have to add wordpress custom code to then make it dynamic, so as The Doc said above, check out: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy and this will tell you how to add stuff, the most basic one needed is add: <?php the_content(); ?> to the page and that then means all the text you add into the admin will appear there.

If you need anymore help, just shout in the post, or send me a private message.

Hope this helps.

Gondoli

Wow! Thanks for the help guys. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. Appreciate the help!!

Looks like you’re doing a good job with the site – if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Gondoli

Brian,
    I’m using the Agent Press website as a way to learn HTML, CSS and wordpress structure as I’m a complete novice. Your website has been an incredible platform for me to learn these things. The design is not final and uploading this was not my intention as I’m definitely in development. Before rushing and accusing me please take all this into consideration. However, I aplogize for not asking permission to use your site as a practice model.
    You have a fantastic design by the way I’ve learned a lot!

Paul – no worries, I normally don’t like to see things like that – as I always assume the worst. (sorry, it’s happened way too many times.) I’ve edited my comment – and wish you the best of luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.